Modi, Jaitley to play major role in Lok Sabha battleFebruary 8th, 2009 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Feb 8 (IANS) Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will be in charge of western India for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the coming Lok Sabha election while general secretary Arun Jaitley will oversee Uttar Pradesh, the country’s most populous state.
The BJP Sunday announced the names of party leaders to take charge of campaigning and election strategy in different states.
Modi, who is increasingly seen as a prime minister hopeful, will preside over Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Daman and Diu, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli, the party said in a statement.
Jatiley, considered a master strategist, has been given charge of Uttar Pradesh, which accounts for 80 Lok Sabha seats, as well as Bihar, Delhi, Punjab and Chandigarh.
The others are: M. Venkaiah Naidu (Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Pondicherry, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and Lakshdweep), Sushma Swaraj (Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand), Ananth Kumar (Madhya Pradesh and Karnataka), Shanta Kumar and Bhagat Singh Koshyari (Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Haryana), V. Satish (Orissa), Soudan Singh (Rajasthan), as well as S.S. Ahluwalia, Harendra Pratap and Chandrasekhar (Assam, northeast and Sikkim).
Ahluwalia will also be in charge of West Bengal, the BJP said.
- Gadkari names in-charges of states (Lead) - Jul 23, 2010
- Gadkari names in-charges for states - Jul 23, 2010
- Most states have no child rights panel: Krishna Tirath - Aug 25, 2011
- Santosh Trophy to kick off Friday - May 10, 2012
- Vajpayee, Modi among BJP's star campaigners - Jan 09, 2012
- Sonia names new working committee, makes changes in key states (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Adityanath sees a hung assembly in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 11, 2012
- Karnataka BJP MP's election set aside - Jun 11, 2012
- Yeddyurappa to attend BJP meet in Mumbai - May 25, 2012
- Campaigning for third phase of Lok Sabha polls ends today - Apr 28, 2009
- Campaigning ends for third phase of LS polls - Apr 28, 2009
- Census to begin in Maoist-hit Chhattisgarh Saturday - Apr 30, 2010
- Third phase of general elections 2009 (Factfile) - Apr 24, 2009
- Notification for third phase of Lok Sabha elections to be issued today - Apr 02, 2009
- Campaigning ends for third phase of polls - Apr 28, 2009