Modi fasts again, Congress dismissiveOctober 16th, 2011 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Dwaraka (Gujarat), Oct 16 (IANS) Continuing with his recent ’sadbhavana’ (amity) mission, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi observed a day-long fast in this pilgrimage town Sunday to counter the “detractors of the state”.
Beginning his fast with a prayer at the Dwarakadheesh temple, Modi said his fast did not have an ulterior motive.
“I do not want to gain anything by staging a fast, but I want to highlight efforts of those who do not miss any opportunity to defame Gujarat,” Modi said.
“I want to send a message that while detractors of Gujarat are trying to defame it, the state believes in brotherhood,” he said.
Modi also said that the good efforts of the Gujarat government were being ignored.
Meanwhile, a parallel fast was held by Congress MP from Jamnagar, Vikram Madam, along with few other Congress legislators around three km away from Modi’s fast venue.
Demanding a white paper on the expenditure incurred during Modi’s three-day ’sadbhavana’ (amity) fast last month, Leader of Opposition in the state assembly Shaktisinh Gohil said public money was being misused by the government.
“It is a party programme of the BJP and it should bear all expenditure for it,” Gohil said on the sidelines of a function in Vadodara.
“Had it been an official programme of the state government, the Congress party leaders’ names would have been printed on the invitation cards distributed,” he added.
- Vaghela to counter Modi fast - Sep 14, 2011
- Vaghela ends fast, says Modi government betrayed trust - Sep 20, 2011
- Modi and Vaghela on fast track politics in Gujarat - Sep 16, 2011
- Top Gujarat Congress leaders slam Modi, announce satyagraha - Sep 15, 2011
- Fast to disagree! Modi, Congress begin parallel fasts - Sep 17, 2011
- Congress in Gujarat: Lost in the shadows (Gujarat Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2011
- Modi stalling Lokayukta appointment, says Congress - Apr 18, 2011
- Modi already a national figure, says BJP - Sep 18, 2011
- Activists condemn arrest of protesters in Gujarat - Sep 19, 2011
- Gujarat bans book on Gandhi, Modi calls it perverse (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Congress attacks BJP over CAG report indicting Modi government - Mar 30, 2012
- Gujarat civic, panchayat polls to set tone for 2012 assembly clash - Oct 09, 2010
- Modi using literacy drive funds for own publicity: Congress - Jun 14, 2011
- Congress alleges victimisation of Dalits in Gujarat - May 31, 2010
- BJP sweeps Gujarat local bodies elections (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: amity, bjp, brotherhood, chief minister, congress party, detractors, dwaraka, gohil, gujarat government, invitation cards, leader of opposition, legislators, madam, narendra modi, party leaders, pilgrimage town, public money, sidelines, state assembly, ulterior motive