Modernisation of military hardware hampered in past: Army chiefJanuary 6th, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) Indian Army Chief General V.K. Singh Thursday said the modernization of military hardware, particularly artillery, has been hampered in the past both by the men in uniform and civilian authorities, but the situation is being “amended”.”There have been faults, some in uniform and some out of uniform. Now we are on track to ensure that this mismatch that has happened over a period of time is amended,” General Singh told reporters on the sidelines of a book release here.
He was responding to a question about the Bofors gun scandal and similar scams that have interrupted the modernization plans of the Indian military.
The Indian Army has not been able to induct any new artillery gun in the last two decades after the controversy surrounding the Bofors guns.
The army presently uses a mix of 105 mm field and 130 and 155 mm medium artillery guns and has plans to acquire over 2,000 howitzers of different calibres including ultra-light, self-propelled and towed guns.
Hoping that the army would do away with the deficiencies, the army chief said the country had a capability of winning a war with the artillery available. “It is not that we don’t have guns. It is like what we have we can fight and win a war with that.”
The nearly two-decade-old Bofors scandal again hit the headlines this week after a tax tribunal ruled that illegal commission of Rs.41.4 million was paid in the Rs.15-billion gun deal.
- Auditors slam Indian Army's poor artillery guns buying record - Dec 20, 2011
- FAQs on Bofors guns and graft row - Apr 25, 2012
- No shortage of artillery guns: Antony - Nov 28, 2011
- Court order or not, Indian Army still grapples with Bofors ghost - Mar 04, 2011
- Guns procurement caught in snakes, ladders game: Army chief - Jan 12, 2012
- Indian Army refloats tenders for heavy guns - Feb 07, 2011
- India clears $660 mn deal for artillery guns (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- India clears $660 mn deal for artillery guns - May 11, 2012
- BAE Systems bids for Indian Army's artillery gun order - Aug 31, 2010
- India 'too late' in artillery modernisation: Army chief - May 10, 2010
- Modernisation is main challenge for new army chief - Mar 30, 2010
- BAE opts out of Indian Army's towed guns tender - Apr 28, 2011
- BAE Systems to showcase artillery power at DefExpo - Feb 13, 2010
- Army probing howitzer report leak at highest level: Antony - Feb 15, 2011
- ST Kinetics confident of bagging Indian Army's howitzers contract - Feb 18, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,