Model of India’s biggest mosque unveiledJanuary 30th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode (Kerala), Jan 30 (IANS) The model of what is billed as India’s biggest mosque — accommodating 25,000 in its courtyard — was unveiled here Monday.
The mosque is to come up in a 40 acres near here and the complex will also house a heritage museum, convention halls, and a media centre, according to the Jamia Markazu Ssaquafathi Ssunniyya headed by Muslim scholar Kanthapuram A.P. Aboobaker Musliyar, who unveiled the model here.
“The heritage museum is for the protection and exhibition of all such holy remnants of prophets and men of Islamic importance, and this will surely add a new dimension to the cultural life of Kerala,” said Musliyar.
Speaking to IANS, an official of the Markaz said that the work on the mosque is expected to begin in April and would be completed in 18 months time.
“The cost of the project is estimated to be Rs.40 crore and will come through public contributions. The feature of the mosque is that initially it would be an open one and would more or less resemble the famed Jama Masjid in Delhi,” said the official who did not wish to be identified.
Musliyar heads the popular social, charity and educational organisation based here, which has taught more than 30,000 students from various states in the country in the last three decades.
Three years back, the Markaz was in the news when more than 100 children from Kashmir were brought here for basic education.
Delhi’s Jama Masjid is currently India’s biggest mosque.
- India's biggest mosque to come up in Kozhikode - Feb 10, 2011
- Construction of mosque stayed, thousand pray (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Kerala daily to serve as Indian community link for Abu Dhabi police (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh mosques double up as primary schools (With Image) - Feb 07, 2012
- Jumat-ul-Vida passes off peacefully in Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2012
- Muslims ask: from Kashmir to Kerala, how did terrorism spread? - Oct 30, 2008
- Vayalar Ravi unveils new name of Durban street - Oct 02, 2010
- Durban street now called Juma Masjid Square (Lead) - Oct 02, 2010
- Durban street now named Juma Masjid Square (Second Lead) - Oct 02, 2010
- Kerala daily signs MoU with Abu Dhabi Police - Jun 14, 2010
- Prayers mark Eid in India, but clashes in Kashmir (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Construction stopped at old Delhi mosque site, visitors pour in - Jul 19, 2012
- Dismiss legislator's plea on mosque, court urged - Aug 16, 2012
- Jama Masjid bomb hoax caller arrested - Jul 02, 2010
- Don't turn mosque row into Babri Masjid-2 (Comment) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: basic education, charity, convention halls, courtyard, crore, educational organisation, exhibition, heritage museum, India, jama masjid, jamia, kashmir, last three decades, markaz, mosque, muslim scholar, new dimension, prophets, public contributions, remnants