Mobs continue lynching spree in BiharMay 6th, 2008 - 5:50 pm ICT by admin
Patna, May 6 (IANS) In yet another case of lynching in Bihar, a Dalit youth was tortured and beaten to death for allegedly stealing a water pump, police said Tuesday. Pappu Paswan, in his 20s, was beaten to death with bricks and bamboo sticks Sunday night by a mob in Mallikpura village in Vaishali district, about 50 km from here.
Police sources said Paswan was tied to an electric pole and thrashed badly after he was caught allegedly stealing a water pump.
Vashali Superintendent of Police Paras Nath said a police team reached the village after being informed and untied the victim. However, he soon succumbed to his injuries.
Following a complaint by the victim’s father, Vishnu Paswan, police arrested Ram Nandan Singh, the village postmaster. He was one of the 10 suspects in the case.
Singh has filed a counter complaint of theft against Pappu.
Mob violence in the name of justice is common in rural Bihar. Over three dozen lynching incidents were reported last year and over two dozen cases have been reported in the last four months.
Two days ago, three suspected criminals were lynched by a mob at Deodatwa village in East Champaran district.
Last month, Ashok Sahni, who belonged to a backward caste, was beaten to death for falling in love with a girl from a different community.
The worst lynching case was reported in September last year when 10 men from the underprivileged Kueri community were beaten to death in Vaishali district on suspicion that they were thieves. Later, a probe found that the men were innocent.
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Jul 10, 2011
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Mar 07, 2011
- Two suspected criminals lynched in Bihar - Apr 27, 2011
- Man accused of killing CPI-M leader murdered - Mar 10, 2012
- Dalit boy beaten to death for collecting wood from orchard - Aug 17, 2012
- Mob pours acid into man's eyes after thrashing him - May 07, 2008
- Four robbers, a thief lynched in Bihar (Lead) - May 09, 2008
- Man killed in yet another case of lynching in Bihar - May 09, 2008
- Five suspected thieves lynched in Bihar - Jun 08, 2010
- Two lynched in Bihar over theft, molestation charges - Jul 14, 2009
- Mentally challenged woman lynched in Bihar - Aug 04, 2010
- Bihar woman lynched for practicing 'witchcraft' - Aug 01, 2012
- Mob rule: two men beaten to death in Bihar (Lead) - May 23, 2009
- Three people lynched in Bihar - Jan 02, 2009
- Man beaten to death in Bihar for eloping - Sep 12, 2012