Mobile phones, cash seized in Chhattisgarh jailMarch 19th, 2011 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 19 (IANS) At least 10 mobile phones and Rs.20,000 in cash were seized from prisoners in a jail in Chhattisgarh’s Bilaspur town, police said Saturday.
The seizures were made during a raid conducted at the Bilaspur central jail, officials at the police headquarters here said.
Notorious criminals lodged in the prison were using the cell phones for extortion purposes, officials added.
The Bilaspur central jail, 110 km from here, at present has 2,080 prisoners against its holding capacity of 628.
- Chhattisgarh jails overcrowded: Minister - Feb 21, 2011
- Bihar jail to auction 500 mobile phones - Jun 11, 2012
- Next hearing on Binayak Sen's bail plea Feb 9 - Jan 25, 2011
- Chhattisgarh owner of car ferrying explosives traced - Jul 16, 2011
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Mobile phones seized in Bihar jail - Jun 23, 2011
- 12 run over by train in Chhattisgarh - Oct 23, 2011
- Fifteen mobile phones recovered from Bihar jail - Sep 02, 2010
- Jails housing Maoists to have mobile phone jammers - Feb 27, 2010
- Mobiles, knife seized from Jharkhand jail - Jan 18, 2011
- Binayak Sen's bail plea: High court reserves order (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- Chhattisgarh officer faces anti-corruption raid - Jan 22, 2011
- Maoists' material for rocket launchers seized in Raipur (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Maoists' material for rocket launchers seized in Raipur - Mar 05, 2012
- Mobile phones, SIM cards seized during raids in jail - Dec 31, 2010