Mobile courts suggested to make Delhi beggar-freeMay 7th, 2008 - 11:43 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 7 (IANS) The Delhi government Wednesday informed the Delhi High Court that it was ready to hold mobile courts to make the capital beggar-free by the time of the Commonwealth Games to be held here in 2010. The court was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) on the increasing number of beggars in the city.
It had appointed lawyer V.P. Chaudhary, who last year filed a series of suggestions, to tackle the issue.
“Let us start with having four mobile courts and then other recommendations will follow. But first seek permission from the concerned authorities to begin the process at least,” a division bench of Justices Vikramjit Sen and P.K. Bhasin had said then.
Appearing on behalf of the government, Sunil Sharma stated that the government was ready to implement the plan of mobile courts and was waiting for the notification to be issued by the court.
He also informed the court that the government had prepared a list of retired people who could be appointed as magistrates in these mobile courts.
The matter was posted for July 7 for further directions.
The suggestions filed by the court-appointed lawyer included declaring some of the beggar homes as open homes where any person driven by necessity is allowed to stay.
“Initiating measures to send beggars to their native places from where they have migrated to the capital will be a another good option to stop the menace of begging in the capital,” Chaudhary told IANS.
Providing vocational training to beggars and biometric identification to create a personal data bank are some of the other recommendations.