Mob rule: two men beaten to death in Bihar (Lead)May 23rd, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 23 (IANS) In ever-rising instances of mob rule in Bihar, two people, including an alleged rapist of a minor girl, were lynched Saturday, police said.
Subhash Yadav, in his mid 20s, was beaten to death by an irate group in Naugachia in Bhagalpur after he allegedly raped a four-year-old girl Friday evening, an official said.
Yadav, an auto-rickshaw driver, was caught from a house he was hiding in and thrashed, which led to his death.
In another incident, a man, known only by his first name Kundan, was beaten to death in Naubatpur near Patna. Kundan was trying to flee after he allegedly shot and injured a local trader who has been admitted to a hospital in critical condition.
In rural Bihar, “street justice” is becoming increasingly common. Over 50 cases of lynching were reported from the state in the last four and a half months. Last year several cases of lynching were reported.
In one of the worst lynching cases, in September 2007, 10 people from the underprivileged Kueri community were thrashed to death in Vaishali district over an alleged theft. Later, a high-level probe found that the men were not thieves as the villagers had suspected.
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Jul 10, 2011
- Suspected thief lynched in Bihar - Mar 07, 2011
- Two suspected criminals lynched in Bihar - Apr 27, 2011
- Rape accused lynched in Bihar - May 23, 2009
- Two lynched in Bihar over theft, molestation charges - Jul 14, 2009
- Four suspected robbers lynched in Bihar - Mar 04, 2009
- Five suspected thieves lynched in Bihar - Jun 08, 2010
- Three people lynched in Bihar - Jan 02, 2009
- Cop suspended for not cooperating in Assam youth's death-probe - Jul 26, 2012
- Four nomads lynched in Bihar - Aug 07, 2009
- Two men lynched in Bihar - Oct 14, 2009
- Rail official killed in Bihar - Aug 08, 2012
- Missing Assam youth's body found in Bihar - Jul 15, 2012
- ABVP for CBI probe into killing of Assam youth - Aug 02, 2012
- Villagers beat three thieves to death - May 19, 2012