Mob protests woman’s rescue, three killedOctober 19th, 2011 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 19 (IANS) Three villagers in Bihar were killed in a clash with police as they were protesting the rescue of a suspected woman thief by the police, authorities said Wednesday.
The incident happened in Muradpur village of Siwan district Tuesday, police said.
The mob was beating the alleged child lifter when the police came to her rescue. This made the villagers angry who retaliated by pelting stones, a police officer said.
Over a dozen police and government officials were injured in the clash, he said.
Two police officers were critical.
Nearly a dozen villagers were also injured when police resorted to lathicharge and opened fire to disperse them.
Since the last few days a rumour was sweeping throughout Siwan that child lifters, particularly women, were active in the district, the officer said.
The three villagers were killed after they were hit by a speedy police vehicle that was carrying the woman.
Security forces have been deployed in the village.
- Bhopal survivors block rail tracks, call off stir (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- One killed, four injured in Bihar as SSB opens fire - May 26, 2012
- BJP workers, police clash at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Bhopal survivors beaten back from rail blockade - Dec 03, 2011
- Four injured as villagers clash with police - Feb 20, 2012
- Sporadic post-Eid prayer clashes in Kashmir - Aug 31, 2011
- Protesting workers injure six cops - Apr 10, 2012
- Bihar CM orders probe in Sitamarhi shooting incident (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- LeT commander killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- Three died in mob violence in Guwahati (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Two killed in villagers-police clash in Orissa - Jul 15, 2011
- Judicial probe ordered into Orissa police firing - Aug 24, 2010
- Mob attacks, torches police station in Bihar - Oct 15, 2011
- Villagers lynch two men in Tripura - Mar 25, 2012