Mob kills CRPF worker in Orissa’s Kandhamal districtOctober 14th, 2008 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Oct 14 (IANS) A staffer of the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) was killed by a mob as fresh violence broke out in Orissa’s troubled Kandhamal district, police said Tuesday.About six to seven unidentified people attacked two CRPF men Monday evening at a village under Raikia police station area.
While one of them managed to escape unhurt, the other was killed in the attack, said District Superintendent of Police S. Praveen Kumar.
“Police recovered the body Monday night. He has injuries on his torso and head. It appears he was first beaten up by sticks and then killed by a sharp weapon,” Kumar told IANS.
The fresh violence is a setback for the state government, which has been claiming that normalcy is slowly returning to the region.
Kandhamal district has been witnessing communal violence since Aug 23 after the killing of Swami Lakshmanananda Saraswati of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and four others at his ashram by unidentified gunmen. In retaliatory violence, thousands of Christian homes and churches have been burnt and at least 36 people killed.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said in New Delhi Monday that the trouble in Kandhamal was not just a communal problem and there were many other factors compounding the problem.
The district has a long history of ill-feeling and suspicion between Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Castes on a variety of issues such as forcible occupation of tribal land and jobs being secured on the basis of false caste certificates among others, Patnaik had said.
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik could have prevented Saraswati's murder: BJP ex-minister - Mar 10, 2011
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Nine killed in communal clashes in Assam's Kokrajhar - Jul 21, 2012
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- Communal violence bill affects states' autonomy: Patnaik - Sep 10, 2011
- Fresh violence in Kokrajhar, three killed - Aug 07, 2012
- Curfew in parts of Bareilly after communal violence - Aug 17, 2010
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Protests in Orissa as Togadia barred from Kandhamal (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- 4 killed, 14 hurt in Karachi suicide attack (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Orissa seeks more forces to curb Kandhamal violence - Sep 25, 2008
- Maoists raise fresh demands, Italians untraced (Night Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010