Mob hacks cop to death for killing civilians (Lead)August 26th, 2010 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 25 (IANS) A mob hacked a police constable to death in a Chhattisgarh village Wednesday after he gunned down two civilians in an inebriated condition.
The incident took place in Bakarkatta village in the state’s Maoist insurgency-hit Rajnandgaon district, some 225 km west of Raipur.
“District Force constable Ashwani Verma shot dead two residents - Dinesh and Bhagwan - over some minor dispute. As the news of the civilians’ killing spread, a large number of people gathered and killed the constable with sharp-edged weapons locally called ‘tangia’,” sources at the police headquarters here told IANS.
The sources added that Rajnandgaon District Superintendent of Police B.N. Meena left for the site with additional forces to assess the situation.
Reports reaching here said that a large number of people gathered at Bakarkatta and raised slogans against the police for the civilian killings.
“The situation is very tense there…residents are very upset after the policeman took out his service revolver and killed two people in their early 30s. Additional forces have reached the village and are trying to calm the protesters, who refused to hand over the cop’s body to the police,” a local policeman told IANS over phone.
- Mob kills cop who goes on killing spree - Aug 25, 2010
- Maoists' shutdown call hits life in Chhattisgarh - Jul 30, 2012
- Three ITBP men killed in Chhattisgarh landmine blast - Oct 08, 2010
- Maoists kill cop, civilian in Chhattisgarh - Jun 24, 2012
- Maoists kill villager, blast Chitrakot police post (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoist strike cripples Chhattisgarh, 8 cops injured (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Maoists kill trader on charges of spying - Mar 21, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop kills colleague, self - Sep 01, 2010
- Chhattisgarh heightens security along Maharashtra - Mar 27, 2012
- Maoists kill six civilians in Chhattisgarh - May 16, 2010
- Cop killed, 24 others injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Maoist-called shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh - Dec 04, 2011
- Villagers migrate following Maoists' order - Feb 26, 2012
- Maoists kill two tribals in Chhattisgarh - Nov 04, 2010
- Eight Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh gunfight (Lead) - Oct 09, 2010
Tags: ashwani, bhagwan, chhattisgarh, civilian killings, civilians, dinesh, district superintendent, edged weapons, hacks, insurgency, maoist, minor dispute, mob, police constable, police headquarters, policeman, protesters, raipur district, service revolver, slogans