Mob fury after Delhi woman alleges rape by policemen (Lead)June 23rd, 2009 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) A woman has alleged she was gang raped by five policemen, including an officer, inside a police station in southwest Delhi but the cops refused to register a complaint. This prompted an irate mob to pelt the police station with stones Tuesday.
The woman, who resides in a slum cluster nearby, alleged that the station house officer (SHO) of Inderpuri along with four other policemen raped her inside the police station Monday. The SHO has been temporarily relieved of his duty, police said.
According to the woman, a police team came to her Inderpuri residence Monday night looking for her husband, claiming he was involved in the betting business.
“My husband was not at home and the cops asked me to come with them to the police station for questioning. They raped me by turns and later threatened me with dire consequences if I revealed the incident to anyone,” she told a news channel.
The woman then informed her husband of the incident following which he took her to the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) hospital.
“She was inconsolable and told me about the whole incident. I along with other family members took her to the hospital where doctors are treating her. I informed the police but they did not register any complaint,” said the woman’s husband.
Angered over the incident, a nearly 200-strong mob threw stones at the Inderpuri police station demanding that the complaint be registered. The security outside the police station was increased and extra police force was deployed to handle the angry mob.
K. Jagdishan, the deputy commissioner of police (southwest), said: “The case has been handed over to Delhi Police Crime Branch and the SHO has been relieved of his post and transferred to the Police Lines for the time being.
“There was a PCR call that a woman alleged rape by cops in the police station. The woman’s initial medical reports do not confirm any harassment and for further confirmation we have sent her clothes to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), Rohini,” he said.
“We have not detained anyone in the matter and a police team will be questioning the woman. She has spoken to the media and has not lodged an official complaint at the police station,” he added.
S.K. Sharma, chief medical officer at RML, said: “The preliminary medical report of the woman does not confirm rape and her clothes were sent to FSL for further confirmation.”
- Delhi woman accuses policemen of rape, sparks mob fury (Second Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Woman alleges rape by policemen, sparks mob anger (Third Lead) - Jun 24, 2009
- Mob turns violent after woman alleges gang rape by cops in Delhi - Jun 23, 2009
- Delhi Police register rape case against its men, no arrest yet (Lead) - Jun 24, 2009
- Delhi Police register case accusing its men of gangrape - Jun 24, 2009
- Married woman gangraped by six men in Ghaziabad - Mar 24, 2012
- Woman fails to identify policemen she accused of rape - Jun 25, 2009
- Woman alleges gang rape by three persons - Jun 24, 2009
- Mumbai senior cop suspended for raping colleague - Apr 18, 2012
- Two Bengal cops removed for misbehaving with woman complainant - Apr 26, 2012
- Delhi woman now tells court policemen did not rape her - Jun 26, 2009
- Kolkata police find holes in rape case; Mamata says cooked up (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Arrested for murder, Bihar girl raped in custody - Aug 24, 2011
- Three held for gang rape in south Delhi - Feb 18, 2011
- Sheila Dikshit 'upset' over gangrapes in capital - Jun 24, 2009