Mob blocks traffic in Ghaziabad after Ambedkar statue damagedJuly 6th, 2012 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, July 6 (IANS) An agitated mob Friday blocked traffic in Ghaziabad after a statue of Dalit icon B.R. Ambedkar was found damaged in the Bamheta locality of the city, police said.
At 6.30 a.m. Friday, locals discovered that the right arm of the statue was damaged.
They informed a senior leader of the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), who visited the spot.
Meanwhile, as the news spread to other localities, a mob led by Dalit leaders jammed vehicular movement on the Grant Trunk Road near Bhatia Mor.
However, police managed to get the situation under control and vehicular movement was restored after senior police officers assured the immediate arrest of the culprits who damaged the statue.
District magistrate Aparna Upadhyay said the damaged part of the statue would be repaired.
BSP leader Rahul Dev Gautam also lodged a complaint with the police on the basis of which the police registered a criminal case under section 427 of the IPC against as yet unidentified criminals.
- Dalit Prerna Sthal lacks security: BSP - Jul 28, 2012
- BSP workers protest over statue vandalisation - Jul 26, 2012
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- Three Ambedkar statues vandalised in UP - Jul 28, 2012
- Mayawati warns against razing statues - Apr 14, 2012
- Protest over damage caused to Ambedkar statue - Apr 14, 2011
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra - Jan 28, 2012
- Mayawati statue vandalised in Lucknow, BSP stages protests (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Protests in Ghaziabad over damage to Ambedkar statue - Jan 25, 2010
- Ambedkar's statue again desecrated in Andhra - Jan 26, 2012
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
Tags: bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, city police, criminal case, criminals, culprits, district magistrate, gautam, ghaziabad, ipc, localities, locality, locals, mob, police officers, rahul dev, right arm, situation under control, traffic, trunk road