MJP poll campaign to focus on Gujarat diamond workersMarch 4th, 2009 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, March 4 (IANS) The Mahagujarat Janata Party (MJP), formed by dissident Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators, will focus on the problems of Gujarat’s nearly two million diamond workers during its campaign for the Lok Sabha polls, for which it will pick candidates after the big parties have announced their nominees.
“We will wait for the BJP and Congress to announce their list of candidates for the 26 Lok Sabha seats and then decide which of our candidates should be fielded,” MJP president Govardhan Zadhapia told IANS.
He said the party’s main poll plank will the plight of diamond workers and severe power shortage in rural areas across Gujarat.
“For a regional party like ours, it is better to stick to local issues and they will dominate our Lok Sabha poll campaign.
“But we will also take up law and order issues during our campaign that must be seen from a national prespective.”
Zadhapia said the MJP’s standing was particularly strong in south Gujarat and Saurashtra.
“We have a set of very able candidates who will challenge the BJP and Congress in the two regions,” he added.
- Gujarat civic, panchayat polls to set tone for 2012 assembly clash - Oct 09, 2010
- 'Treat diamond workers in Gujarat at par with Tatas' - Mar 01, 2009
- Congress dissidents' candidates will lose: Pranab - Apr 11, 2011
- Jaspal Rana quits BJP, joins Congress - Jan 10, 2012
- Not enough done to secure Ahluwalia's win: BJP - May 04, 2012
- Keshubhai Patel quits BJP, may float new party - Aug 04, 2012
- BJP's alliance partners in Jharkhand to support Pranab - Jul 17, 2012
- Former Gujarat minister Jhadapia grilled fifth time - Oct 22, 2010
- Punjab parties welcome Jan 30 assembly poll announcement - Dec 24, 2011
- AGP scouts for partners ahead of coming Assam polls - Feb 25, 2011
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Neither BJP nor Congress will get majority in 2014: Mulayam - Aug 18, 2012
- BJP, Haryana Janhit Congress enter poll alliance - Sep 10, 2011
- After urban wins, BJP upbeat in UP - Jul 18, 2012
- Presidential polls: Fear of poaching haunts Chhattisgarh parties - Jul 10, 2012