Mizoram to have high security number plates to check car theftsJanuary 24th, 2012 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Aizawl, Jan 24 (IANS) The Mizoram government will soon introduce high security registration plates for all vehicles to check car thefts in the northeastern state, officials said here Tuesday.
In Mizoram, at least 65 small cars were stolen by thieves or organised gangs last year.
Mizoram transport department secretary H. Darzika told reporters: “The union ministry of road transport and highways has recently amended the central motor vehicles rules 1989 and asked the vehicle registering authorities of all states in the country to use uniform high security registration plate to check various crimes.”
According to the official, each vehicle will bear three registration plates, one in front, another at the rear and the third one on the wind screen.
The registration plate on the wind-screen will bear the numbers of the vehicle chassis (main body), engine and the signature of the registering authority.
This high security registration plate cannot be destroyed or duplicated easily.
“Of the 65 cars stolen last year, police have recovered 23 vehicles from different parts of Mizoram but many of them were believed to have been taken to neighbouring states and countries,” a Mizoram Police report said.
According to the police report, the total number of small cars stolen during the last four years has gone up to 258. Of these, about half were recovered and returned to the owners.
“As many as 76 vehicles were stolen during 2009 while 52 vehicles were stolen in 2008 and 67 in 2010,” the report stated.
Another senior Mizoram Police official, who wished he not be identified, told IANS: “An inter-state gang is active in the northeastern states. We have intensified our efforts to nab the gang with the help of security forces of other neighbouring states. After lifting cars, this gang sometimes sells them across the border also.”
- Tripura introduces high security vehicle number plates - Jul 30, 2012
- Car, motorbike thefts rampant in Mizoram, Tripura - Oct 15, 2011
- Gang of vehicle thieves busted in Delhi - Jun 09, 2010
- LeT, Babbar Khalsa planned blasts in Delhi: Police - Oct 13, 2011
- Chandigarh police busts gang of high-end car lifters - Oct 07, 2011
- Vehicle thieves' gang busted in Punjab, 6 held - Nov 09, 2010
- Inter-state gang of vehicle thieves busted, five held - Mar 06, 2010
- Banned Manipuri outfit chief held for vehicle thefts in Delhi - Oct 23, 2011
- Car used in Pakistani's minister's killing found - Mar 06, 2011
- Three vehicle thieves arrested - Feb 10, 2011
- Green signal for high-security number plates in Delhi - Aug 26, 2011
- Four held, stolen money seized - Aug 24, 2012
- Three arrested for stealing Delhi MP's car - Sep 23, 2010
- Dealers in stolen vehicles arrested in Delhi - Jan 20, 2011
- Boxing champion among gang caught with arms in Punjab - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: car thefts, department secretary, high security, inter state, ministry of road transport and highways, mizoram government, neighbouring states, northeastern state, northeastern states, number plates, police official, police report, registration plate, registration plates, road transport, small cars, state officials, transport department, union ministry, wind screen