Mistaken identity: CBI to send two people back to NepalSeptember 8th, 2008 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 8 (IANS) In a major embarrassment for the Central Bureau Of Investigation (CBI), a Mumbai court Monday established that two people it had nabbed in Nepal last week were not the accused in the March 1993 serial bomb blasts in the city.Special Judge U.D. Mulla of the designated court under Terrorists and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act, also ordered the CBI to send back the arrested duo - Salim Abdul Ghani Ghazi alias Ashfaq Ahmed Shah and Riyaz Khatri - to Nepal.
The two are Ashfaq Ahmed (instead of Ashfaq Ahmed Shah) and Riyaz Lone (instead of Riyaz Khatri).
Since there was some confusion about their real identities, the court had given CBI time till Monday for verification.
The two were caught in Kathmandu by the Nepal police and handed over to a CBI team Thursday. They were brought to Mumbai amid tight security early Saturday.
The same evening, they were presented before the court which had ordered them to custody pending CBI’s verification of their identities.
- Mumbai blast suspects turn out to be ‘innocents’ (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 08, 2008
- Blasts accused nabbed in Nepal, sent to custody in Mumbai (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 07, 2008
- Gujarat High Court transfers Ishrat Jahan case to Supreme Court-appointed SIT - Aug 12, 2010
- Nepal Maoists deny link to Iqbal Kaskar shooting - May 19, 2011
- Ahmedabad blasts: Bail pleas of three accused rejected (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Ahmedabad blasts: Decision on bail plea of four on Aug 8 (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- 1993 Mumbai blasts case: Supreme Court's final hearing on March 29 - Jan 11, 2011
- SC reserves verdict on Amit Shah's bail in Sohrabuddin case (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Apex court wants details of Abu Salem case proceedings - Mar 19, 2012
- SC reserves verdict on Amit Shah's bail in Sohrabuddin case - Sep 06, 2012
- Police custody for Kaskar driver's shooters (Third Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Terror suspects families cry foul over arrests - Aug 31, 2012
- Nepal police arrest two ''93 Mumbai blasts accused - Sep 06, 2008
- Portugal Supreme Court cancels Salem's extradition, CBI unfazed (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
- Portuguese Supreme Court cancels Abu Salem's extradition, CBI to appeal - Sep 27, 2011