Missionary school guard attacked in Madhya PradeshSeptember 17th, 2008 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
Ujjain, Sep 16 (IANS) Unidentfied gunmen opened fire at a guard at the Carmel Convent in this temple town of Madhya Pradesh, police said Tuesday. Amar Singh recieved three gun shots were Monday night and sustained minor injuries in the legs, the police said, adding he was out of danger.
The five unidentified attackers according to the police, had asked him to call the Sisters of the convent.
“When Singh refused, he was beaten up badly and asked to cry loudly so that the Sisters would come out,” said the police.
“The watchman couldn’t identify anyone as the miscreants had covered their faces,” DIG (Ujjain Range) V.K. Maheshwari said adding: “The police is looking into the case from all possible angles including whether the watchman had enmity with someone.”
“It can not be treated as stray incident in Madhya Pradesh. There are series of attacks taking place here,” Said Father Anand Muttungal, spokesperson of Catholic Council of Bishops, Madhya Pradesh.
Last week an 86-year-old church was burnt in Ratlam district of Madhya Pradesh and the police has put the blame on the church’s caretaker. The opposition Congress has demanded inquiry into the matter by a sitting High Court judge.
The incident is the latest in a series of attack on pastors, churches and prayer halls in various parts of the country.
- 150-year-old cathedral torched in central India (Lead) - Sep 19, 2008
- Anti-corruption raids of officials yields crores - Jan 13, 2012
- Christians voice concern over Narmada Kumbh festival - Feb 08, 2011
- Stones pelted at Christian schools, churches in Madhya Pradesh (Lead) - Aug 29, 2008
- Kashmiri student out of danger (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- 150-year-old cathedral set afire in Madhya Pradesh - Sep 19, 2008
- Masked men attack Christian prayer meet - Apr 18, 2010
- 12 die in Madhya Pradesh stampede (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Fire on Mumbai-Delhi Rajdhani Express, all passengers safe - Apr 18, 2011
- Sand mafia attacks cops, officials in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Omar talks to Chouhan on Kashmiri student - Jan 22, 2012
- Nine arrested for attack on Christian prayer meet - Apr 20, 2010
- Bishop Kenneth Moales Sr. Passes Away After Suffering Heart Attack - Sep 22, 2010
- Woman, daughter-in-law beat man to death in court premises - Jan 31, 2012
- Hindu statesman Zed to preside over interfaith-panel of Episcopal Convention in Nevada - Apr 29, 2011