Mission in Paris at full security alert, says IndiaMay 18th, 2012 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) India Friday said its mission in Paris has been fully alert to security issues in consultation with the local authorities. Reports from the French capital earlier said that slain terror suspect Mohamed Merah had plans of targeting the Indian embassy there.
“The Indian embassy in Paris has been fully alert to security issues. The embassy also remains in touch with the relevant French authorities in regard to its security; in planning its security requirements, the embassy takes account of all possible threats,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said here, noting that the threats included those reported in the media.
“The ministry is in regular contact with embassies abroad for detailed review of the security situation from time to time. Paris is one of the stations where the security requirements of the embassy are reviewed in consultation with the MEA,” he added.
French daily Le Monde had reported, quoting sources from the Central Directorate of Internal Intelligence, that Merah, shot dead by the French special forces in Toulouse on March 22, had also planned to attack the Indian embassy in Paris.
The paper claimed that Pakistani Taliban handlers of Merah had given the Indian embassy in Paris as a target and that they had trained him in Pakistan during last summer.
However, he finally decided against attacking the Indian mission due to the task’s difficulty level.
These were part of a judicial dossier, according to the report.
- Toulouse killer's father to sue France for son's death - Mar 27, 2012
- French killer said he posted murder videos on web - Mar 23, 2012
- French killings arrest denied (Second Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- French gunman killed after 30-hour siege (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- French shooting suspect killed - Mar 22, 2012
- Paris hunts for Al Qaeda female suicide bomber - Sep 21, 2010
- Overseas Indian affairs ministry rapped for inadequate data - May 08, 2012
- India says it is acting to resolve its workers' crisis in Angola - May 16, 2012
- India asks its citizens, mission staff to leave Syria - Jul 24, 2012
- France raises terror alert over Al Qaeda threat - May 22, 2011
- Google told to get clearance for Bangalore street view - Jun 21, 2011
- Ship sailing to Bengazhi to evacuate Indians - Feb 24, 2011
- France observes minute of silence for shooting victims - Mar 20, 2012
- Four die in shooting outside school in France (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Foreign Secretary Rao reviews Libya situation with MEA officials - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: difficulty level, embassies, external affairs ministry, french authorities, french capital, french special forces, full security, indian embassy in paris, local authorities, mea, mohamed, New Delhi, quoting sources, security alert, security issues, security requirements, security situation, spokesperson, target, terror suspect