Missing nurse case: CBI custody of lawmaker extendedDecember 28th, 2011 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
Jodhpur, Dec 28 (IANS) A Rajasthan court here Wednesday extended till Dec 31 the CBI custody of Congress legislator Malkhan Singh Bishnoi, arrested in connection with the case of missing nurse Bhanwari Devi, officials said.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) presented him in the court of an additional chief judicial magistrate at the end of his remand period.
The legislator from Luni constituency was arrested Dec 19 by the CBI after questioning in the Bhanwari Devi case. He was then remanded in CBI custody till Dec 28.
Bishnoi is alleged to have been close to the nurse, who is untraced since Sep 1 and is feared dead.
“The CBI requested the court to extend the remand period as the agency is yet to verify some statements and evidence against the legislator. He will be quizzed further about his role in the nurse’s disappearance,” a source in the CBI told IANS.
Bishnoi was suspended from the primary membership of the Congress a day after he was arrested.
Former minister and legislator Mahipal Maderna, who allegedly featured in a CD in a compromising position with the nurse, was also suspended from the primary membership of the Congress over his alleged role in the nurse’s disappearance. He too has been arrested by the CBI.
The agency arrested Maderna Dec 3 on charges of getting Bhanwari Devi killed. It was alleged that he involved Sahiram Bishnoi, a small-time politician from Jodhpur, for the job. Sahiram allegedly assigned the task to kidnap the nurse to Shahabuddin, Sohan Lal Bishnoi and Baldev Jaat alias Balia.
In a CBI charge sheet filed before the court earlier, three men - Shahabuddin, Baliya and Sohanlal - were charged with the abduction of the nurse with an intent to kill and criminal conspiracy.
They were also booked under various sections of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
- Missing nurse case: Court extends legislator's custody - Dec 31, 2011
- Missing nurse case: CBI quizzes Maderna's wife - Jan 01, 2012
- Missing nurse case: CBI quizzes Maderna in jail - Jan 03, 2012
- Missing nurse case: Court extends Maderna's custody - Dec 24, 2011
- Court extends custody of ex-Rajasthan minister - Jan 20, 2012
- Missing nurse case: Legislator sent to judicial custody - Jan 02, 2012
- Rajasthan legislator sent to CBI custody, suspended from Congress - Dec 20, 2011
- Bhanwari case: Judicial custody of five extended till Jan 30 - Jan 16, 2012
- CBI arrests one more in missing nurse case - Dec 27, 2011
- Key suspect in missing nurse case surrenders, arrested (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Missing nurse: Maderna's CBI custody extended - Dec 09, 2011
- CBI arrests two more in missing nurse case - Jan 25, 2012
- CBI arrests Rajasthan ex-minister over missing nurse - Dec 02, 2011
- CBI brings Maderna to Delhi for questioning - Dec 04, 2011
- Missing nurse case: Arrest warrants for legislator's sister, four others - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,