Mirchpur violence: Court orders CRPF deployment at villageFebruary 1st, 2011 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 1 (IANS) A Delhi court Tuesday ordered deployment of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) at Mirchpur village in Haryana to protect the witnesses till they record their testimonies in the case relating to an attack on Dalits there in 2010, which led to the death of two community members.Special Judge (Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribal Act) Kamini Lau said: “I now direct that CRPF deployment at village Mirchpur should be made preferably near the spot of the incident i.e. around the Balmiki Basti and should continue till such time the public witnesses in the case are examined and till further orders of this court.”
The court took exception to the belated deployment of CRPF at the village where the community members of the accused are protesting against the shifting of the trial from Haryana to Delhi.
“CRPF deployment has also been made at the village by the government of Haryana, though very belatedly, after agitation of the dominant class had spread across the state. This measure, no doubt, could have been taken earlier,” it said.
The Supreme Court had earlier directed that the case relating to the killing of a 70-year-old Dalit man and his physically-challenged daughter allegedly by a mob of over 100 upper caste people be transferred to the special court here to ensure a free and fair trial.
During the hearing, Lau pulled up Delhi government for delay in appointing a special public prosecutor to conduct the trial in the case.
“The manner in which government of NCT of Delhi has unduly delayed the appointment/ notification of the special prosecutor for no obvious reasons only reflects their non-serious approach on the issue,” the court said.
It directed the city government to appoint S.P. Ahluwalia as special prosecutor, “in order to avoid any legal conflict/irregularity and confusion at a later stage” as he has already been notified by Haryana government to conduct the trial.
- Delhi, Haryana asked to give Mirchpur witnesses security (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Delhi, Haryana told to protect witnesses - Feb 15, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Dalits leave village fearing Jat threat - Jan 27, 2011
- Murder, rioting charges against 98 Mirchpur violence accused (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jat protest enters 11th day - Jan 25, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jat protest enters 10th day - Jan 24, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Apex court tells Haryana to rein in protesters (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jats demand SIT probe; blockade disrupts traffic (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
- Mirchpur incident: Jats to call off protest - Jan 26, 2011
- Court notice to 82 acquitted in Mirchpur Dalit killing - Feb 24, 2012
- Mirchpur violence: Jat conclave wants fresh CBI probe - Jan 15, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jat conclave demands fresh CBI probe (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Mirchpur incident: Jats call off protest (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Apex court pulls up Haryana government - Jan 31, 2011
- Mirchpur killings: Three awarded life term - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: ahluwalia, appointment notification, basti, dalits, delhi court, delhi government, dominant class, government of haryana, government of nct of delhi, irregularity, legal conflict, nct of delhi, no doubt, public prosecutor, reserve police, special judge, special prosecutor, tribal act, upper caste, violence court