Miraculous escape for three as SUV sinks in FaridabadAugust 26th, 2008 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Faridabad, Aug 26 (IANS) Three people, including a two-year-old girl, had a miraculous escape Tuesday afternoon when a Tata Safari sports utility vehicle (SUV) sank in a big ditch filled with rain water in the middle of a road in a residential area of this city in Haryana.SUV owner Pradeep Chauhan said he was able to push his aged mother and his two-year-old daughter out of the sinking vehicle just in time and jump out himself as the vehicle slowly sank into the ditch.
The accident took place in Sector 21 of this satellite town of Delhi.
The ditch in which the SUV fell was about 12-15 feet deep and the SUV sank in it completely.
“There was no signboard on the road to indicate that there was a big ditch in the middle of the road. The concerned officials should be hauled up for this. We could have all died,” Chauhan said.
He said the police arrived at the spot over two and a half hours after being informed.
“Even then, they expressed their helplessness saying that all of them were busy with the visit of Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda,” Chauhan said.
He said he had to arrange for a private crane on his own to get his vehicle pulled out of the ditch.
Municipal Corporation chief engineer N.K. Katara told a news channel the road was dug up for laying sewerage pipes and it was the public works department (PWD) which was doing the work.
“It was not being done by the municipal corporation,” he said.
Senior police officials of the district were not available for comment.
- Delhi plans maintenance wing to protect Games infrastructure - Oct 20, 2010
- Kolkata shop owners urged to use Bengali in signboards - Feb 23, 2012
- Are Delhi agencies geared to tackle monsoon? - Jul 06, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Delhi government plans to repair roads on city outskirts - Oct 18, 2010
- Civic agency leader moves Delhi court on cleaning drains - Jun 25, 2012
- New logo drives Force Motors into personal vehicle segment (With Images) - Jun 23, 2011
- Delhi to spend Rs.440 crore on roads, afforestation - Jun 26, 2012
- Kolkata to deploy cranes, barges to streamline immersion - Oct 05, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki unviels compact SUV - Jan 05, 2012
- Day after rain chaos, MCD plays blame game - Sep 16, 2011
- Rains, Games blamed for collapse of Delhi's roads - Aug 29, 2010
- SUV rams into car, turns turtle in Delhi - Jul 18, 2012
- Lucknow anti-encroachment drive protest turns violent - May 07, 2011
- Delhi plans to take over roads angers MCD - Oct 20, 2010