Minor maid tortured with burning candleFebruary 17th, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 17 (IANS) A seven-year-old maid suffered severe injuries after her employer allegedly tortured her with a burning candle in a West Bengal town, the police and the victim said.
The victim, Geeta Karmakar, was rushed to a hospital “with severe burn injuries all over her body, especially on her private parts and legs,” said police superintendent Satyajit Banerjee.
Geeta worked at temporary school teacher Sandip Chakraborty’s house at English Bazaar town in Malda district, about 350 km from here.
“Karmakar told us Chakraborty injured her with a burning candle because she failed to carry out his orders properly,” said Banerjee.
“Chakraborty and his wife Aparajita are absconding. We are trying to track them. Our officers are at the hospital with Karmakar to see that she gets proper medical help,” Banerjee said.
Lying on her bed at the hospital, Geeta said it was not the first time she was tortured like this.
“Whenever I failed to carry out my employer or his wife’s orders properly, they used to abuse me verbally, as well as beat me up. This time my employer burnt me with a burning candle, as I could not do a household chore satisfactorily,” Geeta said.
Geeta’s parents have lodged a complaint against Chakraborty and his wife at the English Bazar police station.
- Three arrested for torturing maid with lit candle (Lead) - Feb 18, 2009
- Minor maid burnt and beaten for eating dog's food - Mar 20, 2010
- 'Superstitious' woman burns herself, two daughters alive - Oct 05, 2011
- Mamata announces Rs.5 lakh compensation for constable's family - Dec 12, 2009
- Couple killed in gas cylinder blast - Feb 16, 2011
- Two held for torturing domestic help - Nov 07, 2011
- Husband, wife commit suicide - Jan 25, 2012
- Couple arrested for torturing domestic help - Jun 14, 2012
- Youth immolates over Trinamool 'fraud', party denies role (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Women loses foetus in assault, CPI-M blames Trinamool - Nov 20, 2011
- Mamata uses film fest to connect with masses (West Bengal Newsletter) - Nov 12, 2011
- Youth sets self ablaze outside Mamata's house - Mar 06, 2011
- Scripted for success: Mamata's life on stage - May 19, 2011
- Step-father arrested for torturing three-year-old - Feb 25, 2012
- NHRC issues notice to Delhi government, power discom - Sep 05, 2012