Minor girl dies of burns, kin allege rape, murderJune 25th, 2011 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, June 25 (IANS) An eight-year-old girl died of burns in the Pilakhuwa area of Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad district Saturday, police said. The girl’s family alleged she was raped and set on fire but police claimed it was a case of suicide.
The victim, daughter of a private hospital employee Manoj Kumar, residing in Anwarpur locality, was rushed to the medical centre around 11.30 a.m. by neighbours who noticed smoke coming out of her house.
Senior Superintendent of Police Raghubir Lal denied her family’s allegation that she was raped and set on fire and claimed she committed suicide.
He said the girl was scolded by her uncle for throwing stones at his son. “As he went away after scolding her, Divya picked up the kerosene bottle and poured it on herself. She then set herself on fire,” he said.
“This was told by her five-year-old brother Saurabh who was in the other room when she burnt herself. On hearing her screams, the neighbours went inside and took her to the hospital,” Lal said.
At that time, the girl’s father was in hospital while her mother had gone out, police said.
The neighbours rushed the girl to Saraswati Medical College where her father was employed. The girl’s father said the attending doctor told them she was raped and referred her to a government Hospital. She died on way to hospital.
When asked about the doctor’s initial observation suspecting rape, Lal said: “It was a private hospital. The doctor should have referred the matter to the district hospital for proper examination.”
- Rape victim succumbs to burn injuries - Apr 18, 2012
- Hospital launches anti-suicide project - Jan 14, 2012
- Student sets herself afire after teacher's beating - Oct 14, 2011
- Minor girl raped, burnt alive - Jan 29, 2012
- Minor killed in police cross-fire - Apr 28, 2011
- Minor burnt to death for resisting rape - Sep 21, 2011
- Girl set afire for resisting rape, two held - Oct 31, 2011
- Boy commits suicide after mother's scolding - Feb 28, 2011
- Teenager immolates self after rape attempt by youth - Feb 23, 2011
- Two attempt self-immolation, 78-year-old dead - Mar 10, 2011
- Cancer patient commits suicide - Aug 18, 2012
- Scolded by father, Class 8 girl ends life - Feb 23, 2012
- India's shame: More violence against women - Feb 08, 2011
- 13-year-old girl raped, accused held in Delhi - Mar 11, 2011
- Teenaged rape victim dies after immolating herself - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: allegation, burns, divya, government hospital, initial observation, kerosene, lal, locality, manoj kumar, medical centre, medical college, neighbours, old girl, private hospital, rape murder, saurabh, screams, superintendent, throwing stones, uttar pradesh