Minor fire in Mumbai-bound flight, no casualtiesMay 28th, 2012 - 11:49 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 28 (IANS) A minor fire broke out in an engine of a Riyadh-Mumbai Jet Airways flight shortly after landing early Monday, necessitating an emergency situation at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport here, official sources said. No casualties were reported.
The incident occurred when Jet Airways flight 9W-523 from Riyadh landed at the airport and was taxiing on the parallel taxiway at the international airport, around 5.45 a.m., the source said.
Confirming the incident, Jet Airways officials said that soon after landing, the Air Traffic control noticed smoke emanating from a suspected fire on the left engine of the aircraft, which was also seen by the cockpit crew.
While the cockpit crew shut down the engine, the airport fire brigade rushed to the scene, the airport sources said.
The fire was extinguished within minutes and all operations were suspended at the airport for nearly 10 minutes due to the emergency situation.
By 6 a.m., normal operations were resumed and there were no casualties in the incident, the source said.
A Jet Airways official spokesperson denied reports that the aircraft made an emergency landing.
- 15 passengers injured in emergency evacuation of Jet flight - Aug 28, 2010
- Spicejet flight makes precautionary landing - Apr 13, 2012
- 25 hurt as Jet flight evacuated, no trace of fire - Aug 28, 2010
- Plane's tyre bursts on landing at Hyderabad airport - Mar 28, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Federal Express aircraft makes emergency landing - Jan 07, 2011
- JetBlue captain goes berserk on flight, subdued by passengers - Mar 29, 2012
- Emirates flight makes emergency landing in Mumbai - Jul 27, 2011
- Jet-Kingfisher aircraft collide, no casualties - Oct 23, 2010
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Jet hauled up for 'serious lapses', 10 staffers suspended - Aug 28, 2010
- Pakistani plane makes emergency landing - May 13, 2011
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Nothing suspicious found on Delta flight in Mumbai (Lead) - Nov 05, 2010
- Jet flight makes emergency landing in Mumbai - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: 9w, air traffic control, airport fire, casualties, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, cockpit crew, early monday, emergency landing, emergency situation, fire brigade, jet airways, minor fire, parallel taxiway, riyadh, spokesperson