Minjar Fair begins in HimachalJuly 29th, 2012 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Chamba, July 29 (IANS) Minjar Fair, a Hindu fair that symbolises the blossoming of maize, began in this Himachal Pradesh town here Sunday.
State assembly speaker Tulsi Ram inaugurated the week-long fair by hoisting the ‘Minjar’ flag at a ground in Chamba.
Earlier, people of the area, mainly farmers, gathered at the historic Lakshmi Narayan and Raghuvira temples and offered holy ‘minjars’ (silk tassels that glow like maize blossoms).
The fair is associated with monsoon in which the farmers pray for heavy rain for a good harvest. The fair will conclude with the immersion of minjars in the Ravi river.
The fair is believed to have first started in the 10th century to mark the victory of king Sahila Varma over the king of Kangra. The defeated king had presented blossoms of maize and paddy to Varma.
Another tale has it that a sage in the Champavati temple on the banks of the Ravi performed a week-long ‘yajna’ that changed the course of the river. This enabled the people to visit the Hari Rai temple across the river.
During the fair, people adorn themselves with ‘minjars’ on their colourful costumes and pray for timely rain and a bumper crop. However, embroidery on the ‘minjars’ is done mostly by Muslims.
- Hindus chant to Muslim beats in Himachal temples - Oct 03, 2010
- 51 killed, 46 injured as bus falls into Himachal gorge (Fourth Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Rain go away, IPL makes Himachal pray - May 11, 2011
- Rain brings cheer to Agra farmers - Jul 30, 2012
- Devastating fire in Himachal's Chamba heritage town - Mar 18, 2012
- Lakhs worship at Pandharpur Vithoba temple - Jun 30, 2012
- Women in Bihar plough fields, sing to please rains gods - Jul 29, 2011
- Poor rain hits paddy transplantation in Bihar - Jul 30, 2012
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate - Aug 21, 2012
- Deficit rain hits agriculture in Jammu region - Jul 31, 2012
- Mango farmers rejoice over bumper crop in Uttarakhand - Apr 16, 2011
- Low yield in Asia's peach bowl fetches high price - Jul 10, 2011
- Himachal's apples - 70 percent less yield - Nov 01, 2011
- Over five lakh pilgrims take holy dip at Gangasagar - Jan 15, 2011
- Fear of drought haunts Bihar again - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: assembly speaker, blossoms, bumper crop, chamba, colourful costumes, embroidery, heavy rain, himachal pradesh, hindu, immersion, lakshmi, monsoon, muslims, narayan, paddy, ravi river, sahila, state assembly, tassels, yajna