Ministry rejection of chief’s age plea legally unsound: ArmySeptember 4th, 2011 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) In the first formal response to the controversy relating to its chief’s age, the Indian Army Sunday said the defence ministry’s ruling that General V.K. Singh’s year of birth should be 1950 was based on records of the Military Secretary’s branch, which had no jurisdictional authority on the matter.
An officer of the Additional Directorate General (Public Information) told IANS that despite the Adjutant General’s branch, which is the custodian of records, writing to the Military Secretary’ branch in earlier years, the latter had not corrected its records.
“In this case, the defence ministry has gone by what the Military Secretary branch at army headquarters has said.
“The custodian of records at army headquarters is the Adjutant General’s branch and the Military Secretary’s branch has no jurisdictional authority on this issue, as per regulations for the army and the charter given to each branch,” the officer said.
“The confusion has occurred because the AG’s branch has not been consulted,” he added.
The officer also said that the government had in January 2008 sought an inquiry in the date of birth records of General V.K. Singh, when he was being considered for promotion as army commander.
But that probe was never conducted by the army, which was under the predecessor of the present chief, “as it would have punctured the claims of the then Military Secretary”. General Deepak Kapoor was the army chief in January 2008.
“This confusion was further compounded because the Military Secretary’s branch did not correct its records from those maintained by the Adjutant General, despite his branch writing to the Military Secretary in earlier years,” the officer added.
General V.K. Singh had, in the middle of last year, sought a correction in the records with the Military Secretary’s branch from May 10, 1950 to May 10, 1951. The matter became a controversy as the change in date of birth would provide the army chief, who is slated to retire from service by June 2012, an additional 10 months in service.
This would have upset the succession plans, which is by tradition based on seniority, of the world’s second largest standing army.
If 1950 remains his year of birth, then the next in line for leading the 1.13-million-strong army is the present Eastern Army commander Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh. If 1951 is agreed to, then the present Northern Army commander Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik will be the next chief.
Also a set of queries under Right to Information Act on the age controversy were forwarded by the army headquarters to the defence ministry for a definitive answer on General V.K. Singh’s age.
After seeking legal opinion from the law ministry, the defence ministry last month ruled that the date of birth of General V.K. Singh for all official purposes will be May 10, 1950.
However, the army chief’s matriculation certificate, which is a valid legal document to fix date of birth, mentions 1951 as his year of birth.
“Acceptance and admission must be supported by valid documents, without which they have no value. The value of a matriculation certificate cannot be wished away,” the official said.
- Army rejects defence ministry's order on chief's age - Aug 23, 2011
- Age row is personal issue, says army chief - Jan 10, 2012
- Government to settle army chief age issue in court, not administratively - Jan 29, 2012
- More trouble for army's former military secretary - Aug 23, 2011
- Army chief meets Mukherjee amid age row - Feb 02, 2012
- 1950 or 1951? That's the vital question for Gen. V.K. Singh - Feb 09, 2012
- Indian Army chief to retire in just over 8 months: Antony - Sep 07, 2011
- It's official: 1950 is army chief's year of birth (Timeline) - Feb 10, 2012
- Army chief's age: Ball back in defence ministry's court - May 20, 2011
- Government reiterates order on Army chief's age issue, to settle case in court (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Decision on Indian Army chief's age soon: Antony - Apr 25, 2011
- Amidst age row, Indian Army chief meets key aides - Jan 02, 2012
- Army chief's age plea before Supreme Court Friday - Feb 09, 2012
- Antony blames army for chief's age row (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Army chief meets Pranab, no breakthrough on age row (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: adjutant general, army chief, army commander, army headquarters, birth records, controversy, custodian of records, date of birth, deepak kapoor, defence ministry, formal response, indian army, jurisdictional authority, military secretary, New Delhi, plea, predecessor, public information, rejection, secretary general