Minister condemns Meerut police chief’s reinstatementAugust 21st, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) Condemning the reinstatement of controversial Meerut top cop Gurdarshan Singh whose comments on the Aarushi murder case had created a furore, Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhury Thursday said she would write to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati for the official’s removal.”It is shockingly insensitive that a man who had spoken in such a manner about a minor girl has been reinstated at his position,” Chowdhary told reporters here.
“I will write to the Uttar Pradesh chief minister, asking her to remove him from the post,” she said.
Aarushi was found murdered in her parents’ upscale Jal Vayu Vihar apartment in Noida May 16. The Noida police immediately named the family’s domestic help Hemraj as the prime suspect but retracted when his body was found on the roof of the apartment the next day.
The police arrested Aarushi’s father Rajesh Talwar May 23, claiming he killed his daughter in a fit of rage because he objected to her closeness with Hemraj.
At a press conference, Meerut Range Inspector General of Police Gurdarshan Singh had said Talwar was arrested because he saw his teenage daughter in an “objectionable but not compromising position” with the servant.
Following Singh’s controversial remarks, Chowdhury and a child rights panel demanded action against him. There was a war of words between the two leaders, which took a political colour.
After the hue and cry, Mayawati transferred Singh and a few other policemen investigating the case. Singh was transferred to the railways in Allahabad.
Singh was reinstated as IG Meerut Range two days ago.
The CBI took over the case June 1 after a public hue and cry over the shoddy manner in which the Noida police had conducted the investigations. Talwar was released July 11 after 50 days of detention, with the CBI saying there was no evidence to link him to the crime.
- 'Uttar Pradesh Police investigation was professional' - Feb 09, 2011
- Rajesh Talwar to continue on bail - Mar 14, 2012
- Rajesh Talwar to continue on bail (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Painter refutes CBI claim in Aarushi murder case - Aug 31, 2012
- Nupur Talwar jailed, bail hearing resumes Tuesday (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- CBI presents witnesses against Talwars (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Examine Aarushi murder witnesses by Sep 17, SC tells CBI - Aug 13, 2012
- Nupur Talwar taken into custody, CBI opposes bail (Fourth Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Reply to Aarushi's parents' plea, Supreme Court tells CBI (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Aarushi-Hemraj murders - Timeline - Feb 09, 2011
- Gate of Talwars' flat was locked from outside: Maid - Sep 03, 2012
- Nupur Talwar points to inconsistencies in CBI probe - May 04, 2012
- Apex court reserves verdict on Talwars' trial transfer plea - Feb 27, 2012
- CBI to court: Rajesh Talwar has no locus standi to argue - Jan 07, 2011
- Aarushi case: Arguments on charges end, order Thursday (Lead) - May 23, 2012