Minister attempted to battle Mantralaya blazeJune 21st, 2012 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 21 (IANS) Maharashtra’s Tribal Welfare Minister Babanrao Pachpute was among the first to try to fight the massive fire which engulfed the top three floors of the seven-storeyed Mantralaya or state secretariat here Thursday, before realising its extent and escaping.
“I was working as usual in my chamber. Suddenly, I heard an explosion and saw a lot of smoke coming out,” Pachpute, whose office is on the fourth floor, told media persons a short while ago.
Believing it to be a minor fire, he grabbed a fire extinguisher and attempted to douse it, he said.
On seeing thick smoke billow out, Pachpute raised the alarm and asked all the people in his office to vacate the premises.
“I also informed the fire brigade, called my home and went to the chambers of Rural Development Minister Jayant Patil and we went out of the building together,” said Pachpute, who belongs to the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP).
As there was complete darkness due to a power failure in the building, the two had to use their mobile phone torchlights to navigate downstairs, he added.
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- 16 injured in Mantralaya fire, blaze under control (Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 21, 2012
- Mantralaya fire toll rises to five (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Chavan, Bhujbal inspect fire-ravaged Mantralaya - Jun 23, 2012
- Chavan takes stock of Mantralaya fire - Jun 22, 2012
- Mantralaya fire: toll climbs to three (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Mantralaya fire continues second day - Jun 22, 2012
- Dozens trapped in burning Mantralaya, navy called (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Baramati mourns its residents' death in Mantralaya fire (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- Fire in central Delhi building, no casualty (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Pune mall catches fire, 15 rescued - Jun 21, 2012
- Several trapped as fire breaks out in Bangalore office complex - Feb 23, 2010
- Chavan reviews situation after Mantralaya blaze - Jun 21, 2012
- Pawar lauds rescue operations during Mantralaya fire - Jun 22, 2012
- Delhi Secretariat too flouted fire safety norms: DFS - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: billow, blaze, development minister, downstairs, fire brigade, fire extinguisher, jayant, june 21, maharashtra, massive fire, media persons, minor fire, nationalist congress party, power failure, premises, rural development, secretariat, state secretariat, thick smoke, tribal welfare