Mines safety agency to help rescue Meghalaya minersJuly 14th, 2012 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, July 14 (IANS) A team from the Directorate General of Mines Safety (DGMS) will now oversee the operation to rescue 15 miners trapped in a flooded coal pit in Meghalaya since July 6, an official said Saturday.
Experts from the government regulatory agency for safety in mines and oil-fields from Dhanbad in Jharkhand are currently on their way to the mine in South Garo Hills after the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team Friday called off its operation, saying it was unable to rescue the miners.
“We have been directed to assess the situation at the site and provide technical support to the district authorities for the rescue,” D.K. Sahoo, a member of the DGMS team, told IANS.
The miners got trapped in the mine last Thursday after they accidentally punctured the wall of an abandoned mine, filling their mine with gallons of water.
“The pumping of water from the coal pit is still going on,” said South Garo Hills District Magistrate R.P. Marak.
District police chief Davies R. Marak had said Friday that NDRF pulled out over fears that its team members could endanger themselves inside the flooded mine, which was on the verge of collapse.
“Scuba divers did make their attempt to enter inside the coal pit but the formation of toxic gas forced them to come out,” said Marak.
- Hope runs out for Meghalaya's trapped 'rat-hole' miners - Jul 13, 2012
- 15 miners trapped in coal pit in Meghalaya - Jul 11, 2012
- Special forces step up rescue in Meghalaya mines - Jul 12, 2012
- 15 miners killed in Meghalaya - Jul 11, 2012
- Human life is precious, explain miners's death: Court to Meghalaya - Aug 02, 2012
- Three coal miners killed - Aug 31, 2011
- Three die in Jharkhand mine collapse - May 26, 2012
- Seven Chinese miners killed in gas burst (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- 26 trapped in China coal mine - Aug 23, 2011
- Toll reaches 28 in China coal mine gas leak - Nov 12, 2011
- Two officials sacked after mine flood in China - May 03, 2012
- 11 trapped miners in China still alive - Jul 08, 2012
- Struggle to rescue 22 trapped miners in China - Nov 11, 2011
- 19 trapped miners rescued in China - Aug 30, 2011
- Sound raises hope trapped Chinese miners still alive - Aug 29, 2011