MIM leader Akbar Owaisi remains criticalMay 1st, 2011 - 1:46 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 1 (IANS) The condition of Andhra Pradesh legislator and Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) leader Akbaruddin Owaisi remained critical Sunday, a day after he was stabbed and shot at by his rivals, doctors attending on him said.
According to the medical bulletin issued by Care Hospital here, the legislator has suffered kidney failure and is on ventilator to support his respiratory function.
The doctors said they were continuing dialysis due to acute kidney failure cause by the injuries. The second intra abdominal surgery will be performed later Sunday, the bulletin said.
The MIM leader suffered injuries to his left kidney, urinary bladder, upper portion of large intestine and upper limb.
Owaisi was shifted to Care Hospital Saturday night from Owaisi Hospital, where he was admitted soon after the assassination attempt.
The first intra-abdominal surgery was performed on him at Owaisi Hospital.
Earlier, Akbaruddin’s elder brother and MIM president Asaduddin Owaisi termed his condition as “very critical” and appealed to people to pray for his recovery.
The MP said Akbaruddin received two bullets and stab injuries to his left hand.
Former chief minister K. Rosaiah, YSR Congress party president Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy and state minister Shankar Rao visited the hospital.
Akbar was stabbed and shot at by his rivals when he was visiting his assembly constituency Chandrayangutta in the old city.
Security guards of another MIM legislator Ahmed Balala returned fire, killing one attacker and injuring two others.
Police have arrested Mohammed Pehlwan, suspected to be the mastermind behind the attack. He had a long running dispute with the legislator over a piece of land.
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi's condition still critical (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi stable - May 02, 2011
- MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi injured in firing (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM leader Owaisi injured in attack, Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi injured in attack; Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi attacked, Hyderabad tense (Night Lead) - May 01, 2011
- MIM legislator Owaisi discharged from hospital - May 20, 2011
- MIM leader attack: Seven accused sent to judicial custody - May 04, 2011
- MIM not to pursue politics of murder, says Asaduddin Owaisi - May 22, 2011
- Two more arrested for attack on Owaisi - May 03, 2011
- Andhra assembly condemns attack on MIM leader - Dec 03, 2011
- After assassination attempt, MIM got strengthened: Asaduddin Owaisi (Interview) - May 18, 2011
- Five accused of attacking MIM leader surrender to police - May 02, 2011
- High alert in Hyderabad after attack on Owaisi - Apr 30, 2011
- Owaisi seeks action against lax cops for riots - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: abdominal surgery, acute kidney failure, assassination attempt, chief minister, city security, congress party president, elder brother, large intestine, left kidney, legislator, medical bulletin, respiratory function, security guards, shankar, state minister, two bullets, upper limb, upper portion, urinary bladder, ysr