Military chiefs meet cabinet secretary over pay panelMay 6th, 2008 - 10:44 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) The three Services chiefs Tuesday met Cabinet Secretary K.M. Chandrashekhar over their demands for revision of a pay panel’s recommendations relating to the armed forces personnel. “The three Services chiefs discussed the Military Service Pay (MSP) for PBORs (Personnel Below Officer Rank) with the cabinet secretary, among other issues,” an army source said.
Navy Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta, Air Chief Marshal F.H. Major and Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor and senior officials discussed the “anomalies” in the pay packages of armed forces personnel.
The meeting, earlier scheduled for Monday, was postponed to Tuesday. The cabinet secretary will now forward his views to the cabinet, said an official.
The Sixth Pay Commission, headed by former Supreme Court Justice B.N. Srikrishna, has recommended a 40 percent across-the-board pay hike for armed forces personnel, doubling their allowances and MSP for officers up to the rank of brigadier and equivalent, as also for PBORs.
Apart from pushing the case for PBORs, the Services chiefs have pointed out that after taking into account taxes and other deductions, the wage hike in real terms would amount to only 20 percent.
In the case of PBORs, the commission has recommended that at the entry level, sepoys (privates) and their equivalents receive a minimum of Rs.7,860, rising to a maximum of Rs.40,600 for Subedar Majors and their equivalents.
The commission has also recommended military service pay of Rs.6,000 for officers up to the level of brigadier and equivalent and of Rs.1,000 for PBORs.
- Military chiefs to meet cabinet secretary over pay panel - May 05, 2008
- Committee suggests pay hike for soldiers - Jun 25, 2008
- SC orders pay review bonanza for defence officers - Sep 05, 2012
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Pay panel to meet military chiefs on salary hikes - Apr 03, 2008
- Antony hears out military chiefs on pay panel report - Mar 27, 2008
- Military chiefs petition Antony on more pay for troops - Apr 01, 2008
- 65 army officers quit after pay panel report - Apr 07, 2008
- India's military chiefs unhappy with pay panel recommendations - Mar 27, 2008
- Navy's career progression scheme to benefit 50,000 sailors - Jun 05, 2011
- 40 percent pay hike recommended for defence personnel - Mar 24, 2008
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Salaries of government employees substantially hiked (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2008
- Anomaly in reviewed pay commission: IAF chief - Aug 27, 2008