Militants kill three cops in Meghalaya (Lead)June 4th, 2011 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, June 4 (IANS) Security forces in Meghalaya launched combing operations Saturday to nab the suspected Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels who gunned down three police personnel in a pre-dawn attack, police said.
A group of ten heavily armed suspected GNLA rebels hiding on a hilltop attacked a highway patrol police team at Thapa Darenchi area of East Garo Hills district, killing three policemen and injuring two.
Though no militant group has claimed responsibility for the incident, state’s Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Rajiv Mehta said: “The GNLA is behind this cowardly attack.”
“They (GNLA) have been under tremendous pressure from us. Today may be their day, but they should remember that we are not far from them,” he said.
Mehta, who reviewed the overall law and order situation in Garo Hills after the incident, added: “We have got vital leads and the hunt is on to arrest them.”
The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, is fighting for a sovereign Garoland. It is headed by police officer-turned-outlaw Champion R. Sangma.
The outfit is believed to have links with the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isak-Muivah), the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB).
- Three cops killed in militant ambush in Meghalaya - Jun 04, 2011
- Rebel attack: Meghalaya seeks central forces - Jun 06, 2011
- Hunt on for Meghalaya rebels behind police killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Rebel group asks Assam-based groups to leave Meghalaya - Aug 15, 2011
- Rebels kill policeman, injure three in Meghalaya - May 30, 2012
- Two GNLA rebels held in Meghalaya - Dec 08, 2010
- Rebels free Meghalaya official after 56 days - Nov 25, 2010
- Five killed in Meghalaya ambush - Nov 01, 2011
- Three GNLA rebels arrested - Nov 05, 2010
- Meghalaya to probe police-rebel nexus - Apr 15, 2011
- Grenade hurled at temple in Meghalaya - Oct 31, 2010
- More Garo rebels to surrender: Meghalaya home minister - Dec 20, 2010
- Elite force to tackle Meghalaya rebels - Jul 10, 2011
- Two Bodo rebels gunned down in Meghalaya - Jun 18, 2011
- Suspense prevails over abducted Meghalaya official - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: attack police, cowardly attack, dawn attack, east garo hills, garo hills district, highway patrol, hilltop, isak, law and order, militant group, national democratic front, national liberation army, police law, police team, pre dawn, rajiv mehta, rebel groups, shillong, ulfa, united liberation front