Militants kill suspected US spy in PakistanSeptember 14th, 2008 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 14 (Xinhua) An Afghan man accused of spying for the US was killed by militants in Pakistan’s tribal region of North Waziristan, media reports said Sunday. The bullet-ridden body of Gul Rahim Shah was found in North Waziristan, which is believed to be a hideout for Al Qaeda and the Taliban, the NNI news agency reported, citing witnesses.
A note in native Pashto language found near the body of the man, said he has been killed as he was spying for the US and Afghanistan, the news agency said.
Through the note, the militants also warned that anyone spying for the US or Afghanistan would face the same punishment.
The Taliban militants, who have found safe heaven in tribal regions of Pakistan’s North West Frontier Provine bordering Afghanistan, are blamed for attacking people suspected of spying for the US or Pakistani authorities in the region.
Scores of people, including Afghan refugees and Pakistani tribesmen and clerics, have been killed in such attacks in the region in recent years.
Pakistan has deployed some 90,000 troops to its regions bordering Afghanistan, including North Waziristan, to track down militants. But so far, the military offensives against the militants have not succeeded to stem the violence in the region.
But US and Afghan officials claimed that militants still have bases in the Pakistani territory from where they orchestrate attacks inside Afghanistan.
Recently, the US military has intensified missile strikes from drones that have created tension between the two sides.
- Taliban kill four people in northwest Pakistan on suspicion of spying for US - Feb 06, 2011
- Huge Pakistan rally demands halt to US drone strikes - Oct 28, 2011
- Pakistan summons US diplomat to protest drone strikes - Aug 23, 2012
- Militants kill US spies to avenge drone attacks - Dec 24, 2010
- 15 abducted Pakistani troopers killed - Jan 05, 2012
- Taliban kills four 'US spies' in Pakistan - Mar 21, 2010
- Kayani warns US against anti-Pakistan offensive - Oct 19, 2011
- Two men killed in Pakistan for allegedly spying for US - Dec 13, 2008
- U.S. drone strikes kill 11 suspected militants in Pakistan - Jun 20, 2011
- 14 militants killed in Pakistan's tribal region - Jul 19, 2011
- 16 die in US drone strike in Pakistan - Aug 10, 2011
- Two alleged US spies killed in Pakistan - Dec 22, 2008
- Fresh U.S. drone strikes kill 4 people in North Waziristan - Aug 03, 2011
- Pak soldier killed in border clash with Afghan troops - Feb 03, 2011
- Unilateral incursion into Pakistan will be disastrous: daily - Oct 20, 2011