Militant killed in infiltration bid on LoCMay 22nd, 2012 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 22 (IANS) A suspected militant trying to enter Indian territory was killed in a gun battle with the army in Rajouri district along the Line of Control in the early hours of Tuesday.
The infiltration bid took place in Gambhir, about 160 km north of Jammu.
“The troops deployed in the Gambhir area on the Line of Control (LoC) observed through the surveillance devices that three to four persons with weapons were moving towards the LoC fence,” Col. R.K. Palta, public relations officer of defence, here said in a statement.
“On being challenged by troops from the nearest post, the persons fired at the post. In retaliation, the troops also opened fire on them. The exchange of fire continued for 30 minutes approximately. There was no casualty among troops in the exchange of the fire,” he said.
During the search operation in the morning, the body of a suspected terrorist was found in the bushes, he said.
“Efforts are on to establish the identity of the body. Further search operation for weapons and other items of the slain terrorist is in progress. The general area is under vegetation undergrowth. It is a distinct possibility that the weapon of the slain terrorist was carried back by his retreating accomplices, which is usually their modus operandi,” he said.
During the search operation, rifleman Sujit stepped over a drifted landmine and injured his left toe, the spokesman said.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Army foils infiltration bid in Jammu - Jun 09, 2012
- Dhoni visits border areas in Kashmir - Jun 02, 2012
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Dhoni meets soldiers on Kashmir border (Lead,With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Army chief warns of terrorist designs - Aug 10, 2011
- Soldier killed while foiling infiltration bid - Aug 09, 2012
- Infiltration bid foiled, Army man injured - Nov 24, 2010
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Indian, Pakistan troops exchange fire on LoC - Nov 26, 2011
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Artillery exchanges between India and Pakistan on LoC - Sep 01, 2011
- Youth 'kidnapped' by LeT returns to India from PoK - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: accomplices, asian news, bj, bushes, distinct possibility, fence, gambhir, gun battle, indian territory, indo, infiltration, jammu, loc, retaliation, rifleman, search operation, sog, surveillance devices, undergrowth, vegetation