Mild snowfall on R-Day in KashmirJanuary 26th, 2012 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 26 (IANS) A mild snowfall greeted Kashmiris here on the morning of India’s 63rd Republic Day Thursday, with streets looking deserted amid heightened security.
The weather office has forecast mild snowfall during the next 24 hours.
Streets in the city remained deserted as only security forces vehicles were seen moving around. Security was heightened around sensitive installations and the main parade venues.
The main Republic Day parade is being held inside the Bakshi Stadium in the city where contingents of police, paramilitary, home guards and schoolchildren take part in the function.
A blanket of security has been thrown around the venue to ensure that separatist guerrillas cannot disrupt the official function.
Arrangements for flag hoisting and official parades have been made at all other district headquarters in the valley.
Separatists have called for a complete shutdown Thursday. So far, there has been no untoward incident anywhere here.
- Life relaxed in Kashmir Valley ahead of R-Day (With Images) - Jan 24, 2012
- Main R-Day parade passes off peacefully in Srinagar - Jan 26, 2012
- BJP activists, separatists held on peaceful R-Day in Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Security beefed up in Srinagar - Aug 13, 2012
- Heavy security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day - Aug 13, 2011
- Kashmir on high alert ahead of Republic Day - Jan 24, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir on alert over Lashkar strike threat (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Gaiety, patriotic fervour mark I-Day in Karnataka - Aug 15, 2011
- Peaceful R-Day in Kashmir, separatists invited for talks (Lead) - Jan 26, 2010
- Republic Day peaceful in Kashmir; separatist, BJP marches foiled (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- No scope for laxity on the part of security forces in J-K, says J-K Governor - Jan 26, 2010
- India celebrates 62nd R'Day, military might on show (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
- Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Rights abusers will be punished: Omar Abdullah - Aug 15, 2011
- Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: district headquarters, India, kashmir, parades, republic day, schoolchildren, security forces, sensitive installations, separatist guerrillas, snowfall, srinagar, untoward incident, venue, weather office