Mild snowfall in Shimla, ManaliMarch 8th, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, March 8 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh’s popular tourist destinations of Shimla and Manali received mild snow Thursday evening, surprising the merrymakers who had celebrated Holi, the festival of colours, earlier in the day.
While Shimla saw a light spell of snowfall, upper areas like Kufri, Narkanda, Jubbal and Kotkhai saw moderate snowfall, according to a Met official here. Manali, too, received mild snow, triggering a rush of tourists there.
“The high hills in Lahaul and Spiti, Kinnaur, Kullu, Shimla and Chamba districts have been experiencing light to moderate snowfall since Thursday morning,” said a weather department official.
Tourist Monika Jain said: “It’s really surprising to see snow in Shimla at this point of time when the plains have started warming up.”
The minimum temperature in Shimla was recorded at 3.4 degrees Celsius, while the maximum was 10.7 degrees, a fall by 3.8 degree Celsius from Wednesday.
Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district was the coldest place in the state where the minimum temperature was 5.2 degrees Celsius below freezing. The town recorded three cm of snowfall.
Kalpa in Kinnaur district, which also recorded snow, saw a low of minus 3.2 degrees Celsius, while it was zero degree Celsius in Manali and 5.4 degrees Celsius in Dharamsala.
The Met Office has forecast partly cloudy conditions in the state till Friday.
- Shimla, Manali shiver - Feb 09, 2012
- More snow, Shimla records season's lowest temperature - Jan 09, 2012
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- Shimla wrapped up in white blanket again - Feb 24, 2011
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Himachal's popular tourist destinations get more snow (Lead) - Jan 30, 2011
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Himachal throws life out of gear but cheers fruit farmers (Lead) (With Images) - Jan 09, 2012
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Manali wrapped up in white blanket - Dec 10, 2011
- Snowfall drapes Dharamsala, Shimla in white - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: chamba, cloudy conditions, coldest place, degree celsius, himachal pradesh, holi, jubbal, kalpa, lahaul and spiti district, manali, merrymakers, minimum temperature, rush, snowfall, spiti, thursday morning, tourist destinations, tourists, upper areas, weather department