Middlesex to fund their training in IndiaNovember 23rd, 2008 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 23 (IANS) The Middlesex team will pay from their pockets for their extra two days of training in Mumbai for the Champions League that begins in first week of December.Middlesex will fly to Mumbai next week Thursday, two days before the Champions League organisers are willing to pay their expenses, so that they can acclimatise to the conditions on the sub-continent.
“The players have made a commitment to go out there and give themselves the best chance to perform so we are happy to take that hit in the pocket to give ourselves extra preparation time,” captain Shaun Udal was quoted as saying in the Daily Telegraph.
“If we had gone out there on the 30th then we would only have two days to prepare and that is not long enough. We want to have four or five days of preparation, so we can have a warm-up match and play under the lights. That means we will pay out of our winnings for two days hotel accommodation and expenses.”
Middlesex qualified for the tournament by winning the Twenty20 Cup last summer.
The team wants to give their best shot to the $6million tournament and are still hopeful that England will release Owais Shah and Andrew Strauss to play in the tournament.
Middlesex’s opening match is in Mumbai Dec 3 against the Victorian Bushrangers from Australia. They then switch to Madras to play Titans of South Africa and IPL runners-up the Chennai Super Kings, led by India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
- Hussey to captain Bushrangers after White's RCB move - Aug 11, 2010
- Nannes to join Aussies as standby player for World Cup - Mar 07, 2011
- Ranji Trophy format tweaked a second time in 10 years - Jul 16, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals to play Middlesex Panthers in British Asian Cup - May 14, 2009
- Tons by Dilshan, Strauss set tone for England-Lanka series - May 16, 2011
- S.Africa gets set to kickstart second Champions League Twenty20 - Sep 10, 2010
- Beleaguered RCB hopes to bounce back - Apr 17, 2012
- We fancy our chances against T&T;: Steven Smith - Sep 27, 2011
- We are peaking at the right time: Dhoni - Apr 01, 2011
- Middlesex, Stallions announce squad for Champions League - Nov 25, 2008
- Pollard seeks to make amends - Sep 21, 2011
- Deccan Chargers hope to end losing streak against Daredevils - Apr 18, 2012
- IPL set for grand start - without 'feel good' factor - Apr 03, 2012
- We believe in our ability, says Darren Ganga - Sep 21, 2011
- Two Champions League matches shifted from Kolkata to Bangalore - Aug 16, 2011