Microsoft posts over $4 bn profit in first-quarterOctober 24th, 2008 - 8:55 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Oct 24 (DPA) Microsoft Crop. reported its first-quarter results that exceeded analysts’ expectations, with profits up 2 percent to $4.37 billion.Sales rose 9.4 percent to $15.1 billion in the quarter that ended Sep 30, the company said in a statement Thursday, spurred by the demand for Office programmes and the Xbox video game console.
The world’s largest software maker said sales for the full fiscal year, ending June 30, 2009, would be between $64.9 billion to $66.4 billion.
“In a challenging economic environment, the first-quarter results exhibit the strength and diversity of our business model,” said Chris Liddell, Microsoft’s chief financial officer.
The company plans to save $500 million by slowing down on hiring, travel and marketing, Bloomberg financial news reported. Microsoft can endure an economic slowdown longer than its competitors because it has many clients with long-term contracts.
Revenue in the Microsoft Business Division, mainly Office programmes, climbed 20 percent last quarter to $4.95 billion. Xbox sales dipped 6 percent, but this was less than the 26-percent decline the company had forecast.
- Microsoft reports first quarter results, shares up 10.30% - Oct 23, 2009
- Microsoft reports first loss in 26 years - Jul 20, 2012
- Apple becomes most valuable company in history - Aug 21, 2012
- Microsoft to bring cable TV content to Xbox game console - Oct 06, 2011
- Microsoft sees record revenue through Windows 7 - Apr 23, 2010
- Pandit's Citi makes profit with India sale - Apr 17, 2012
- Windows 7 sends Microsoft to record revenue - Jan 29, 2010
- Apple quarterly results exceed expectations - Apr 25, 2012
- Microsoft quarterly earnings top estimates - Apr 20, 2012
- New Microsoft CFO is Peter Klein as Chris Liddell quits - Nov 26, 2009
- Wipro's IT outlook remains flat on marginal growth (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Reliance Broadcast Network quarterly revenue rises 55 percent - Aug 16, 2011
- General Motors reports $2 billion profit - Nov 10, 2010
- BlackBerry cuts 200 jobs after market bleeding - Jun 22, 2011
- Panasonic returns to profit in first quarter - Jul 29, 2010