Microsoft calls on Seinfeld to boost WindowsAugust 22nd, 2008 - 11:13 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Aug 22 (DPA) Microsoft is to pay comedian Jerry Seinfeld $10 million to star in a $300-million advertising campaign for its Windows Vista operating system.The campaign, which is one of the largest ever undertaken by the software giant, is aimed at establishing a cachet for the computer operating system and will feature Seinfeld along with Microsoft chairman Bill Gates.
The theme of the campaign will be “Windows not Walls,” the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday and will focus on “breaking down barriers that prevent people and ideas from connecting”.
The campaign is seen as Microsoft’s attempt to hit back at Apple’s long running series of Mac vs PC ads, which feature a nerdy PC guy losing out to a cool representative of Apple’s increasingly popular Macs.
Vista was introduced in January 2007 and quickly became the world’s dominant operating system since it is pre-installed on the vast majority of new PCs. But it has failed to catch on in the business market and according to a recent article in Computerworld, many PC owners often downgrade their system to run the previous operating system Windows XP, which is considered by many experts to be faster and more stable.
Microsoft is currently working on a successor to Vista called Windows 7, which could debut as early as next year.
- Windows 8 heads to computer manufacturers - Aug 02, 2012
- Apple Unveils iTunes 10.1 With New Features - Nov 16, 2010
- Why '7' could be Microsoft's lucky number (Comment) - Oct 22, 2009
- Microsoft reports first loss in 26 years - Jul 20, 2012
- Windows 7's real shipping date revealed - Jun 03, 2009
- How Steve Jobs changed the world - Oct 06, 2011
- Geeky Gates joins deadpan Seinfeld to save Windows Vista from Apple onslaught - Sep 06, 2008
- Deepak Chopra replaces Jerry Seinfeld in Microsoft ads - Sep 19, 2008
- Tests reveal Microsoft has fixed problems plaguing Windows Vista at launch - Sep 13, 2008
- Users at risk of IE bug, warns Microsoft - Dec 24, 2010
- Microsoft launches Windows 7 in India - Oct 22, 2009
- Apple asks Russian anti-virus firm to improve OS X security - May 15, 2012
- Apple releases preview of new Mac operating system - Feb 17, 2012
- Milestones in a tech legend's journey - Oct 06, 2011
- Microsoft to launch Windows Phone 7 next week - Oct 05, 2010