Microsoft apologises over Amy Winehouse tweetJuly 27th, 2011 - 12:19 am ICT by IANS
London, July 26 (IANS) Bosses at computer giant Microsoft have apologised for urging followers to buy late Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black” album through the retailer’s online store.
A representative for Xbox, owned by Microsoft, urged followers on micro-blogging site Twitter to make the purchase on the firm’s entertainment marketplace Zune, hours after the “Rehab” singer was discovered dead at her London home Saturday.
However, Microsoft executives have now insisted they had no intention of using the troubled star’s death as a marketing ploy. They posted an apology on Twitter, reports dailystar.co.uk.
“Apologies to everyone if our earlier Amy Winehouse ‘download’ tweet seemed purely commercially motivated. Far from the case, we assure you. With Amy W’s passing, the world has lost a huge talent. Our thoughts are with Amy’s family and friends at this very sad time,” they posted.
Winehouse’s Grammy Award-winning “Back to Black” record shot to the top of the iTunes charts with sales of the album increasing 37-fold when the world got to know about her tragic death.
- Winehouse knew she was dying: Bennett - Oct 02, 2011
- No autopsy on Amy Winehouse before Monday morning - Jul 24, 2011
- Posthumous Amy Winehouse album to be released in December - Oct 31, 2011
- Amy's dad to share her handwritten notes with fans - Jun 18, 2012
- Winehouse not collaborating with Lady Gaga - Jul 31, 2010
- Adele's '21' world's biggest-selling album - May 16, 2012
- Amy was too young to die, says goddaughter - Jul 24, 2012
- Oprah issues apology for TV remark - Feb 14, 2012
- Lady Gaga to play Amy Winehouse? - Aug 06, 2011
- Kelly Rowland suffers wardrobe malfunction - Aug 09, 2011
- Amy Winehouse apologizes to Mark Ronson for her unflattering tweets - Sep 22, 2010
- Gaga pays tribute to McQueen in new album - May 24, 2011
- Winehouse's unheard album to be released - Nov 01, 2011
- Winehouse foundation to be launched Sep 14 - Sep 07, 2011
- Celebs mourn 'incredible talent' Amy Winehouse's death - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: amy winehouse, apologies, apologises, apology, black album, blogging, computer giant microsoft, entertainment marketplace, family and friends, followers, grammy award, intention, microsoft executives, ploy, s entertainment, s online store, sad time, tragic death, tweet, xbox