Microchip to invest $65 mn in IndiaAugust 30th, 2008 - 10:32 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Aug 30 (IANS) Leading provider of microcontrollers and analog chip maker Microchip Technology will invest $65 million (Rs.2.85 billion) in its India development centre over the next five years and hire about 300 more engineers, the company said here.“We have set up a new facility to work on integrated circuit (IC) development, microcontroller development tools and corporate information systems,” Microchip vice-president Ganesh Moorthy said in a statement issued here late Friday.
The $1 billion Arizona-based US firm designs embedded control solutions for consumer, automotive, office-automation, communications and industrial-control markets worldwide.
“The India centre will play a major role in developing eight bit, 16 bit and 32 bit microcontrollers and digital signal controllers. We have delivered many innovations in microcontroller and digital signal controller designs, besides digital-power and motor-control solutions,” Moorthy said.
Industry analyst firm Gartner Dataquest ranked Microchip as world leader in eight bit microcontrollers in 2007. It is also the largest supplier of eight bit microcontrollers in the Indian sub-continent, according to the India Semiconductor Association.
A microcontroller is a tiny computer-like processor that makes electronic products intelligent. An average consumer uses about 100 microcontroller-enhanced products ranging from microwave, to copier and phone at workplace and remote control for television viewing at home.
- Intelligent hospital kiosk for quick health tests - Aug 19, 2010
- India's spending on green IT to double by 2015, says report - Sep 19, 2011
- Now, jewellery that whispers in the ear! - Oct 05, 2010
- Hungama is Facebook's Preferred Marketing Developer - May 10, 2012
- Pearson gets control over TutorVista for Rs.577 crore - Jan 18, 2011
- Is microchip at 50 ready for retirement? - Apr 24, 2011
- Specialised online stores hottest e-commerce start-ups: Survey - Jan 30, 2011
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- Smart curtains that could replace your burglar alarm - Sep 11, 2012
- India's PC market grew 17 percent in Q2 of 2012 - Aug 28, 2012
- Oz's first bionic eye a step closer to reality - Apr 01, 2011
- Sony unveils book-like twin-screen tablet - Apr 27, 2011
- Smart fabric to prevent thefts? - Sep 11, 2012
- Canon to open 300 outlets across India's small towns - Nov 22, 2011
- Vibrations to help in energy harvesting - May 07, 2012