Mexican’s Senate candidacy axed for anti-women statementMarch 19th, 2012 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, March 19 (IANS/EFE) Mexico’s main opposition Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI, said it has withdrawn lawmaker Francisco Moreno Merino’s candidacy for the Senate due to his recent comment that there’s no “pretty woman who doesn’t end up a prostitute”.
PRI said in a communique that “in light of the statement offensive to women’s dignity uttered by legislator Moreno Merino in the Chamber of Deputies, the National Executive Committee (of the party) has asked him to renounce his candidacy…for the Senate representing the state of Morelos”.
It added that “legislator Moreno Merino has expressed his full acceptance” of the request.
In its communique, PRI warned that it “will not tolerate attitudes that are offensive or discriminatory to any segment of Mexican society” and said the Executive Committee will designate the replacement candidate before March 22, the latest date for registration.
Moreno had said: “There is no fine horse that won’t pull like a mule, nor a pretty woman who doesn’t end up a prostitute or a good man who doesn’t pull your leg…”
Federal lawmakers of all political parties immediately took the floor of the chamber to slam Moreno’s statement.
- Mexican senators keen to ban bullfights - Apr 27, 2011
- Heed gender rules, Mexican poll official tells parties - Mar 26, 2012
- Thousands of Mexicans protest outsourcing, easy sacking - Apr 02, 2011
- Argentine ex-spy accused of sex trafficking - Jan 31, 2012
- Mexican carnival goers burn clown's effigy over jokes - Feb 20, 2012
- Four bodies dumped on side of Mexican highway - Mar 12, 2012
- Transsexual runs for office in Mexico - Feb 05, 2012
- Mexico sets 60-year prison term for female homicides - Dec 15, 2011
- Rise in foreign tourist arrivals in Mexico - Aug 16, 2011
- Court awards damages to man forced to party with hookers - Sep 05, 2012
- Mexico City mulls bullfighting ban - Mar 24, 2012
- 78 migrants hidden in trailer intercepted in Mexico - Apr 13, 2011
- Mexican congressional hopeful bares some skin in posters - May 08, 2012
- Seven beheaded in Mexican town - Jul 13, 2012
- Mexican doctor criticised for OT photos on Facebook - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: chamber of deputies, efe, federal lawmakers, francisco moreno, good man, institutional revolutionary party, lawmaker, legislator, march 19, mexico city, mj, morelos, moreno merino, mule, national executive committee, political parties, pretty woman, prostitute, replacement candidate, senate candidacy