Mexicans end holiday festivities with 10-tonne cakeJanuary 6th, 2012 - 9:58 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Jan 6 (IANS/EFE) Thousands of people in the Mexican capital had a piece of a nearly 10-tonne cake that authorities shared with the public to close out the holiday festivities for 2011.
On Wednesday, the huge ring-shaped cake was placed on the Zocalo, the capital’s central square, where pieces were passed out free to anyone who came to the spot.
The project required 5,405 kg of flour, 3,000 kg of butter, 240 kg of yeast, 2,600 kg of sugar, 659 kg of powdered sugar, 33 kg of baking flour and 70 kg of salt.
In addition, 1,200 kg of candied fruit coloured green, white and red — the colours of the Mexican flag — were used. More than 2,000 people worked to prepare the cake.
Mayor Marcelo Ebrard was in charge of cutting the cake, which was 720 metres long and cost more than one million pesos (around $71,400) to make.
“This traditional cutting of the cake is aimed at fostering healthy family coexistence but, above all, it allows us to strengthen the city’s economy and promote the preservation of more than 35,000 jobs in the baking industry,” said Ebrard.
Children, women and the elderly were the first to receive a piece of the cake, along with a glass of milk.
- Mexico City closes world's largest trash dump - Dec 20, 2011
- Britney Spears to give free concert in Mexico City - Dec 01, 2011
- World's largest nativity scene set up in Mexico City - Dec 09, 2011
- Mexican presidential hopeful goes public with new romance - Aug 03, 2011
- Mexico to invest $250 mn in disaster insurance - Mar 05, 2012
- Mexican city distributes masks for volcano ash - May 07, 2012
- Opium gum worth $12 mn seized in Mexico - Jan 22, 2011
- Mexican soccer players' fines go to charity - Mar 30, 2011
- Man rapes daughter, sells her for $365 - Dec 12, 2011
- 15 tonnes of synthetic drugs burnt in Mexico - Feb 20, 2012
- Scientists develop miniature drone helicopter - Jun 03, 2011
- 150,000 people protest closure of Mexican power firm - Oct 17, 2009
- Pet tiger escapes, causes scare in Mexico - Dec 31, 2011
- Gay parade held in Mexico - Jun 04, 2012
- Whakatane bakers' world-record cake aim - Oct 17, 2010
Tags: baking industry, cake mexico, central square, coexistence, cutting the cake, efe, flour, glass of milk, holiday festivities, marcelo ebrard, mexican flag, mexicans, mexico city, piece of the cake, powdered sugar, ring shaped cake, s central, tonne, yeast, zocalo