Mexican mother blinds her son in satanic ritualMay 25th, 2012 - 12:17 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, May 25 (IANS/EFE) A Mexican mother blinded her five-year-old son in an apparent satanic ritual, authorities in the central state of Mexico said Thursday.
Carmen Rios Garcia, 23, is one of seven people in custody in connection with the crime, an official told EFE.
“What we think - it’s a hypothesis - is that it was a satanic ritual. They speak of a religious ceremony,” Mayra Perez said.
The incident occurred at 8.30 a.m. in the town of San Agustin Atlapulco, where 10 people, three of them minors, were inside a house performing “a religious ceremony”, she said.
One of those present, the brother of Rios Garcia, told the authorities that the woman “had the child in her arms” and asked the other attendees at the ceremony to close their eyes”.
It was then that Rios Garcia stuck her fingers into her son’s eyes, blinding him, claimed Perez.
Alerted by relatives of the boy, police transported young Fernando to a nearby hospital, from where he was ultimately transferred to a better-equipped facility in Mexico City.
According to the boy’s uncle, Jesus Rios, several of the people present at the ceremony, which lasted several days, were under the influence of “some drug or in shock”, a condition that prevented them from helping the youngster.
The Mexico state Attorney General’s Office opened an investigation into the incident.
Besides the people arrested, a child of 8 and a 9-month-old baby were rescued from the home where the ritual occurred.
Regarding Fernando’s condition, officials at the Mexico City health department said that he is under sedation and out of mortal danger, but he sustained severe trauma - and irreversible damage - to his eyes, and thus he will remain blind for life.
- Two die as chopper crashes on Mexican street - Oct 22, 2011
- Human sacrifice in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- Mexican cops give six-year-old a traffic citation - Jan 13, 2012
- New album mixes flamenco and Mexican songs - Nov 22, 2011
- Seven girls raped at summer camp in Mexico - Jul 16, 2012
- Mexican women's rights activist shot at - Dec 04, 2011
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez turns 85 - Mar 07, 2012
- Film must talk about violence: Mexican actor - Sep 09, 2011
- Four die in Mexican prison brawl - Oct 22, 2011
- Andy Garcia thrilled about shooting in Mexico - Apr 14, 2012
- Latin America's largest garbage dump closes (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 40 bodies found in Mexico mass grave - Jun 02, 2010
- Man rapes daughter, sells her for $365 - Dec 12, 2011
- Phony news crew smuggles $9.2 mn into Nicaragua - Aug 28, 2012
- 850-years old human skeletons found in Mexico - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: attendees, blinds, carmen, city health department, efe, hypothesis, irreversible damage, mexican mother, mexico city, mexico state, month old baby, mortal danger, nearby hospital, relatives, religious ceremony, san agustin atlapulco, sedation, severe trauma, state attorney general, youngster