Mexican drug boss heldJune 22nd, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, June 22 (IANS/EFE) The head of Mexico’s notorious drug cartel La Familia has been arrested, officials said.
Jesus Mendez was captured Tuesday by the federal police in the central state of Aguascalientes.
Mendez, a.k.a. “El Chango”, was “responsible for murders, kidnappings, extortion and corruption”, said Alejandro Poire, technical secretary of the National Security Council.
Mendez’s arrest is the latest blow to La Familia, whose ideological leader, Nazario Moreno, was killed in a shootout with police last year.
The security forces have arrested several cartel bosses in the past few weeks, Poire said, adding that President Felipe Calderon’s administration remains committed to fighting drug cartels.
Calderon deployed thousands of army troops and federal police officers across Mexico to fight criminal organizations after taking office in December 2006.
Mendez was “one of the most-wanted criminals” in Mexico, Calderon said.
La Familia was created in 2006 and is based in the southern state of Michoacan.
More than 15,000 people died in drug-related violence in Mexico last year, and nearly 40,000 people have died since Calderon declared war on the country’s drug cartels shortly after taking office.
- Mexican mayor vows to continue her work despite attacks - Jan 26, 2011
- Mexican drug lord Nazario "El Chayo" Moreno Gonzalez reportedly killed by troops - Dec 10, 2010
- 23 police officers arrested over alleged ties with drug cartel in central Mexico - May 03, 2011
- Mexican police arrest drug kingpin - Apr 13, 2010
- 23 bodies dumped in Mexican state - Jun 21, 2011
- Mexico takes action to keep criminals out of elections - Mar 02, 2012
- Five policemen killed in Mexico - Jan 31, 2010
- Demand for private security services in Mexico up 40 percent - Dec 18, 2011
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- 3,700 arrested in six days in Mexico - Jun 20, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Over 2,700 shots fired at Mexican official - Apr 28, 2010
- Six bodies found in Mexico - Feb 19, 2011
- Six gunned down in Mexican bar - Aug 09, 2012
- Drug gang gunfight leaves 10 dead, 18 injured in central-western Mexico - Dec 12, 2010
Tags: aguascalientes, army troops, corruption, criminal organizations, dg, drug cartels, el chango, extortion, federal police officers, jesus mendez, mexico city, murders, national security council, notorious drug cartel, president felipe calderon, security forces, snb, technical secretary, violence in mexico, wanted criminals