Mexican claims he found a fairyAugust 12th, 2011 - 11:15 am ICT by IANS
Guadalajara (Mexico), Aug 12 (IANS/EFE) An unemployed 22-year-old bricklayer claims he has found a fairy in this western Mexican metropolis.
Jose Maldonado, who charges a monetary “donation” in exchange for displaying what appears to be a simple plastic figure kept in a container of formaldehyde, says he has already received 3,000 visits from people eager to see the so-called fairy at his home in Lomas Verdes, one of Guadalajara’s poorest and most dangerous neighbourhoods.
“I was picking guavas and I saw a twinkling. I thought it was a firefly. I picked it up and felt that it was moving; when I looked at it I knew that it was a fairy godmother,” Maldonado told EFE.
The tale of the fairy that Maldonado claims to have discovered last weekend has run like wildfire through the area and his home is now besieged by the curious, some of whom wait for up to an hour to enter.
What Maldonado shows the paying public is a small container filled with formaldehyde containing a humanlike figure about 2 centimeters tall, with a gelatinous consistency and a certain resemblance to Peter Pan’s Tinkerbell.
Maldonado says that what seems to be just a little plastic figure is a fairy and that it was alive when he found it. And there are those who believe him.
“I’ve seen everything and, yes, I believe the fairy is real. Therefore, I wanted to come to confirm that those myths are true,” said Cesar Ramirez, a visitor.
To be allowed to examine the “fairy” for a few seconds and take a photograph of it, the curious must make a donation to financially help out Maldonado who recently lost his job.
His neighbours have also taken advantage of the situation to sell photographs and keyrings with the image of the fairy for about 20 pesos ($1.60), as well as refreshments including drinks and food to those people while they wait in line outside Maldonado’s house.
- Cyanide-laced food kills five in Mexico - Dec 27, 2011
- Seven family members commit suicide in Mexico - Jan 13, 2012
- Spanish singer honoured for gay rights work - Mar 06, 2012
- Julio Iglesias to hold concerts in Argentina - Feb 06, 2012
- Pepe Aguilar gets star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame - Jul 27, 2012
- Andy Garcia to direct film about Hemingway - Mar 05, 2012
- Mexico sets record for largest folk dance performance - Sep 05, 2011
- Mexicans paint murals to highlight crime problem - Sep 11, 2012
- Child prodigy performs with Mexican philharmonic - Mar 06, 2012
- Mexico to vaccinate 1 mn chickens against bird flu - Jul 11, 2012
- My music supports social causes: Dominican singer - Nov 25, 2011
- Three women tortured, killed in El Salvador - Jan 16, 2012
- Mexican cops give six-year-old a traffic citation - Jan 13, 2012
- `Underwater' Santa Claus a hit in Mexico - Dec 26, 2011
- Mexican group mixes ancestral music with Beatles melodies - Apr 22, 2012