Mexican beauty rips pageant organisers over weight issueAugust 3rd, 2011 - 12:40 pm ICT by IANS
Monterrey (Mexico), Aug 3 (IANS/EFE) Cynthia de la Vega, who finished second in a beauty contest that makes her eligible to represent her country at the 2011 Miss World pageant, said she was “in total disagreement” with the decision to strip her of the right to represent Mexico because she was too heavy.
Organisers of the Nuestra Belleza Mexico contest demanded that she lose a few kilos, but they never provided a nutritionist or any other assistance to ensure the weight loss, the beauty queen said in a press conference Monday in the northern city of Monterrey.
“I want to make it clear that I did not have a specific nutritionist, that it was the coach himself, Luis Rangel, who sent us the diet via e-mail, which consisted of the same food during the whole month,” said De la Vega, who was accompanied by her mother and her attorney, Roberto Flores.
Rangel demanded that she eat “the same thing, without changes”, the beauty queen said, adding that an “adequate nutrition plan should be specific for each day of the week and should also be supervised to make the necessary adjustments”.
De la Vega said her goal was to regain the right to represent Mexico at the Miss World contest and that she had spoken with the organisers.
Nuestra Belleza Mexico announced over the weekend that it was stripping De la Vega of the right to represent the country because she had “failed to fulfill her obligations”.
A replacement will be sent to represent Mexico at Miss World 2011, Nuestra Belleza Mexico said.
Evaluations were done “to verify the performance of Miss De la Vega” and it was learned that “she failed to fulfill the recommendations made and goals agreed to for her preparation”, Nuestra Belleza Mexico said.
The name of the young woman who will represent Mexico at Miss World 2011, which will take place Nov 6 in London, will be released soon, the pageant organisers said.
- Varsity student is Mexico's nominee for Miss Universe - Sep 22, 2009
- Ricky Martin expresses his admiration for Miss Universe - Aug 30, 2011
- Ex-Miss Universe to judge this year's contest - Sep 02, 2011
- Giving up crown isn't easy: Miss Universe - Sep 11, 2011
- Miss Colombia contest bars woman linked to Mexican kingpin - Aug 10, 2011
- Beauty contestants swap catwalk for soccer field - Oct 07, 2011
- Deposed Miss Dominican Republic apologises - Apr 27, 2012
- Miss Universe meets Mexican president - Sep 15, 2010
- Colombia beauty barred from contest (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Former Miss Universe says she's blessed - Mar 06, 2012
- Miss USA Rima Fakih's Dream To Win Miss Universe 2010 Pageant Ends - Aug 24, 2010
- Beauty queen exposed as sex worker, topless model - Sep 23, 2010
- Cattle baron slain in Mexico - Jan 29, 2011
- Share your beauty tips, Vanya urges women (With Images) - Jul 03, 2012
- Miss Delaware Kayla Martell Fails To Win Miss America Pageant 2011 - Jan 16, 2011
Tags: adequate nutrition, beauty contest, beauty queen, de la vega, disagreement, e mail, efe, evaluations, mexican beauty, miss world contest, miss world pageant, monterrey mexico, necessary adjustments, nuestra belleza mexico, nutrition plan, nutritionist, organisers, rangel, roberto flores, young woman