Mexican beauty queen gets jail in drug gang probeDecember 27th, 2008 - 7:20 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Dec 27 (DPA) The Mexican beauty queen arrested shortly before Christmas on suspected connections to illegal drugs has been sentenced to 40 days into jail by the state’s attorney.Laura Elena Zuniga Huizar, 23, who is Hispanic America Queen 2008 and was to represent Mexico in the Miss Universe 2009 pageant, is suspected of membership in a criminal organization, possessing illegal weapons and criminal violations of public health.
Suniga insisted at the time of her arrest Tuesday that she did not know that her lover was a drug dealer and member of the Juarez drug cartel.
She was arrested in Guadalajara along with eight heavily armed men during an anti-drug raid at a checkpoint in Guadalajara, about 600 km northwest of Mexico City.
They were carrying automatic weapons, pistols, 16 mobile phones, $20,000 in cash and munitions, police said.
- Mexico releases beauty queen arrested for drug links - Jan 31, 2009
- Mexican beauty queen arrested over drug mafia nexus - Dec 24, 2008
- Mexico arrests drug trafficker wanted for 1,500 murders - Aug 01, 2011
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- Mexican beauty queen gets 40-day jail time after drug bust - Dec 27, 2008
- 16 killed in Mexican prison shootout - Jul 27, 2011
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012
- Mexican city fires 400 cops - May 20, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Mexican women's rights activist shot at - Dec 04, 2011
- US agent accused of buying guns for Mexican cartels - Apr 13, 2012
- 20 dead in Mexico bar attack - Jul 09, 2011
- Cyanide-laced food kills five in Mexico - Dec 27, 2011
- Gunmen kill 13 more in Mexico border city - Oct 25, 2010
- Jailed Mexican beauty queen stripped of her crown - Dec 28, 2008