Mewat tense after mob furyMarch 29th, 2012 - 11:50 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 29 (IANS) Tension prevailed in Mewat district of south Haryana after an angry mob Thursday evening torched two state transport buses and damaged other property to protest Haryana police high-handedness.
The mob set two buses, belonging to Haryana and Rajasthan roadways, on fire and damaged other vehicles and property near the district headquarter town of Nuh, 350 km from here.
Police said that trouble began after a boy was detained by the police on suspicion of theft. As he was lodged in a police station, one of his uncles came and entered into an argument with police officials.
However, family members of the boy claimed that a police inspector misbehaved with an uncle of the detained boy when he went to meet him at the police station.
They alleged that a police official pulled the beard of the uncle and misbehaved with him.
Later, over 1,000 people gathered and sought action against the police officer. The mob later became angry as the police tried to shield the officer and the mob resorted to violence.
Traffic on the Delhi-Alwar road was affected due to the violence. Long queues of vehicles were stranded on both sides of the road Thursday evening.
- Haryana to tax Gurgaon-Alwar road users more - Jul 27, 2011
- Bus crushes boy, mob torches vehicles - Aug 18, 2011
- Lawyers, roadways employees clash in Uttar Pradesh - May 23, 2011
- After Rewari violence, Haryana stops land acquisition - Jul 26, 2012
- Shops shut in violence-hit east Delhi area; situation under control (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Violence erupts after truck runs over a child in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Curfew in parts of violence-hit Hisar, army help sought (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Curfew in Hisar after Jats' violently protest for quota - Sep 14, 2010
- Curfew in Hisar, army help sought as violence intensifies - Sep 14, 2010
- Police scramble to control ruckus outside Mohali stadium - Mar 28, 2011
- Protesters in UP torch vehicles, attack police - Jul 16, 2012
- Students clash with police in Allahabad, torch vehicles - Apr 27, 2012
- Eight women electrocuted in Haryana, four injured (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 28, 2010
- Violence in Anantnag after youth run over by army vehicle (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Haryana bus strike hits thousands (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2011