Metro has volunteers now to check passenger indisciplineJanuary 18th, 2009 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 18 (IANS) Next time you itch to squat on the floor or lean against sliding doors aboard the metro, think again because Delhi Metro Citizen Forum’s volunteers will be patrolling the network to stop you from doing so.The volunteers will sport a fist-sized blue and red badge with “Delhi Metro Citizen’s Forum” stamped across it.
Over a hundred commuters of the Delhi Metro Sunday formally became a part of the Delhi Metro’s Citizens Forum, which aims to help the Metro administration in instilling better behaviour and discipline among the fellow commuters.
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) handed the badges to volunteers after a daylong training cum orientation programme called ‘Sahyog’ held at the Metro Rail headquarters here.
“In the training programme, volunteers were imparted training about various important aspects of Metro operation such as customer orientation, etiquette, co-operation with passengers, ticketing procedures, boarding and de-boarding from trains, security mechanisms, disaster management and cleanliness,” said Anuj Dayal, the chief spokesman of the DMRC.
The initiative that was launched a month ago received more than a thousand applications of which 150 odd were selected.
“After a month-long process of short listing the forms, the selected volunteers were called for today’s training programme,” Dayal said.
DMRC intends to involve more commuters in the initiative and forms are still available with the station managers of the metro stations.
Delhi Metro recently recorded its highest daily number of passengers at 9,500,000. On an average, it ferries about 800,000 commuters everyday.
Still, the swanky Metro system faces many challenges to keep in check passengers who are accustomed to flouting rules and breaking queues.
“In the wake of increasing ridership and the scheduled opening of many new corridors in the coming year, such cooperation from the commuters has become very important,” Dayal said.
- Volunteers check and counsel unruly Metro commuters - Mar 04, 2009
- Delhi Metro's volunteer programme gets international award - Jul 18, 2010
- Delhi Metro's citizen forum to have 1,000 members before Games - Jun 11, 2010
- Metro commuters to get tips on safe travel - Feb 20, 2012
- Girl commits suicide at Delhi metro station - Mar 25, 2012
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- With rising ridership, Delhi Metro to have more gates - Jun 20, 2012
- Trade fair: Delhi Metro ridership zooms - Nov 22, 2010
- Delhi Metro completes 100 months of operations - Apr 24, 2011
- Over 14 lakh used Delhi Metro daily during Games - Oct 15, 2010
- Delhi Metro records highest ridership June 13 - Jun 17, 2011
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- We miss classes due to Delhi Metro snags, students complain - Dec 07, 2010
- Metro Man rides into sunset, to pass baton to Mangu Singh (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- Delhi Metro to reserve coach for women from Oct 2 - Sep 26, 2010